- John's Got School Tomorrow/The North Sea Chinaman/The Bus ...
- Bridge of Don
- Mrs. Meddle's March Strathspey, and Surreal
- Montropolis/Jig for Nina/The Green Pastures
- Eddy Kelly's
- Jim's Jig/The Snuff Wife/Eileen MacDonald
- Spare Parts
- Miss Laura Thoumire
- Bob McQuillan's Reel/Major Mole
- Martin Wynne's No. 1/John McCusker's/Woof Vicky Woof
- Get it by Thursday, September 28 , Order now and choose Expedited Delivery during checkout.
The Simon Thoumire Three take a rather unique approach to modern Celtic music. The trio consists of Thoumire, a virtuoso concertina player, guitarist Kevin MacKenzie, and string bass player Simon Thorpe, and this unconventional instrumentation leads the group in all kinds of interesting directions, from '30s-vintage hot jazz to sinewy chromatic experimentation. They don't experiment much with texture or production -- apart from the occasional distorted guitar, the band's sound remains spare and unadorned throughout most of the album, the focus staying squarely on Thoumire's fleet-fingered concertina playing. The tunes themselves are what give the music its uniqueness; the trio alternates traditional jigs and reels like "The Snuff Wife" and "Bridge of Don" with such quirky originals as "John's Got School Tomorrow" and "Gloomy-Go-Round/Merry-Go-Round." Thoumire's original compositions start off sounding kind of folky, but he has a jazzman's sensibility and uses the tunes as springboards to something much more melodically twisted. This is a disc that rewards repeated listening.
Performance CreditsSimon Thoumire Three Primary Artist
Simon Thoumire Concertina,Vocals
Kevin Mackenzie Acoustic Guitar,Electric Guitar,Vocals
Simon Thorpe Double Bass
Technical CreditsMoray Munro Engineer
Simon Thoumire Arranger,Producer
Kevin Mackenzie Arranger
Simon Thorpe Arranger