To increase trade to the Orient, commercial harbor development in the Ballona wetlands of western Los Angeles was attempted several times from 1880 to 1900, only to be destroyed by disastrous storm-fed floods. After the US Army Corps of Engineers installed revetments on Ballona Creek and moved tons of earth to raise the ground above sea level, Marina del Rey was federally authorized in 1954. Funded by federal, state, and Los Angeles County funds, the largest man-made marina in the nation was built to provide public recreational boating facilities and water access. Private financiers developed restaurants, hotels, premier yacht clubs, Fisherman’s Village, and a residential marina lifestyle on county-owned leaseholds. This world-class seaport will celebrate 50 years of dynamic growth on April 10, 2015.
About the Author
Founded in 2007 to collect and preserve historical documents, photographs, publications, and data, the Marina del Rey Historical Society promotes the accomplishments of this extraordinary engineering feat for the educational interest of visitors from across the world. This book features images from the County of Los Angeles Fire Department, the County of Los Angeles Department of Beaches and Harbors, and the County of Los Angeles Department of Regional Planning; Security Pacific National Bank Historical Collection; Summa Corporation; Greg Wenger Photography; and named individuals who have generously donated their collections.
Table of Contents
1 Marshland, Port Ballona, Oil, Mud Lake, Hoppyland 11
2 Vision, Ground Breaking, Water Infrastructure 23
3 Storm Surge Destruction, Solution, Success 41
4 Land Development, Fisherman's Village, Public Services 61
5 Boating, Recreation, Yacht Clubs 93
6 Visionaries, Celebrities, Community 111
About the Organization 127