Meet the Challenge of Any Database Project with Visual Basic and ADOMastering Database Programming with Visual Basic 6 offers highly focused coverage of the techniques that make Visual Basic the ideal tool for database development. Assuming no prior experience with database programming, this book teaches you every aspect of the craft, from GUI design to server-side development to middle-tier implementation. Rather than waste your time with outmoded data access technologies, it takes you straight to the leading edgeADO 2.5helping you build database applications that will meet your organization's needs now and into the future. Coverage includes:
• Understanding data access architectures and technologies
• Understanding relational database concepts
• Getting acquainted with SQL, including the most important features of SQL Server 7 for the VB programmer
• Understanding ADO and what it offers your database application
• Using the visual database tools
• Using ADO 2.5 to access databases from within your VB applications
• Getting the most from SQL Server using T-SQL and stored procedures
• Simplifying client application coding with stored procedures
• Constructing data-aware classes
• Implementing middle-tier components and data-bound ActiveX controls
• Supporting remote data access
• Encapsulating database operations with ActiveX controls
• Accessing a database from within Web applications using Active Server Pages
• Building applications that work with Internet Information Server and Microsoft Transaction Server
• Mapping data structures to hierarchical Recordsets and making the most of disconnected Recordsets
About the Author
Evangelos Petroutsos is a computer engineer who gained much of his experience at the California Institute of Technology and MCI. Currently, he writes computer books and works as a computer communications consultant. He has authored and co-authored dozens of programming titles, including the best-selling Mastering Visual Basic 6, and Visual Basic 6 Developer's Handbook. He also has published numerous articles and teaches networking and programming courses.
Table of Contents
Part I: Database Basics.
Chapter 1: Database Access: Architectures and Technologies.
Chapter 2: Basic Concepts of Relational Databases.
Chapter 3: The Visual Database Tools.
Chapter 4: Structured Query Language.
Chapter 5: A First Look at ADO.
Chapter 6: Programming with ADO.
Chapter 7: Transact-SQL.
Chapter 8: Making the Most of Stored Procedures.
Chapter 9: More ADO Programming.
Part II: Advanced Data-Access Techniques.
Chapter 10: Shaping Your Data.
Chapter 11: Remote Data Access.
Chapter 12: Data-Aware Classes.
Chapter 13: Data-Aware Controls.
Part III: Databases on the Web.
Chapter 14: Accessing Databases over the Web.
Chapter 15: Building IIS Applications.
Chapter 16: Microsoft Transaction Server.
Part IV: Putting Your Knowledge to Work.
Chapter 17: Building an Invoicing Application.
Chapter 18: Building an Online Store.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This book covers all important aspects of database programming with VB. If you are a beginner to intermediate level VB programmer, this is a great book for learning to apply it to database programming. The examples are well written and thoroughly explained. I use this book as a reference tool constantly. I buy a lot of VB books. This is one of the best I own.