Rethink what's possible with Docker - become an expert in the innovative containerization tool to unlock new opportunities in the way you use and deploy software
About This Book
- Create highly scalable applications and services using the Linux container virtualization paradigm
- Extend Docker with external platforms, including Heroku and OpenStack
- Integrate with some of the most innovative and exciting orchestration tools such as Kubernetes for larger and more controlled deployments
Who This Book Is For
If you recognize Docker's importance for innovation in everything from system administration to web development, but aren't sure how to use it to its full potential, this book is for you.
What You Will Learn
- Become fluent with the basic components of Docker
- Learn best practices for storing and managing Docker files
- Secure your containers and files with Docker's security features
- Learn how to use Docker machine to build new servers from scratch
- Find out how to set up and manage multiple environments with Docker compose
- Utilize Docker Swarm to orchestrate containers across different servers
- Integrate Docker with a wide range of cloud and configuration tools to fully realize its potential
Docker has been a game-changer when it comes to virtualization - it has now grown to become a key driver of innovation beyond system administration, having an impact on the world of web development and more. But how can you make sure you're keeping up with the innovations that it's driving? How can you be sure you're using it to its full potential? Mastering Docker shows you how - it not only demonstrates how to use Docker more effectively, it also helps you rethink and reimagine what's possible with Docker.
Covering best practices to make sure you're confident with and the basics, such as building, managing and storing containers, before diving deeper into Docker security, you'll find everything you need to help you extend and integrate Docker in new and innovative ways. You'll learn how to take greater control over your containers using some of Docker's most sophisticated and useful tools, such as Docker compose and Docker swarm, before bringing together everything you already know and have learned to put your containers into production and monitor them for safety and performance.
Beyond this, you'll also explore even more advanced strategies, as you learn how to extend and integrate Docker with cloud platforms such as Heroku and OpenStack, and how tools such as Kubernetes can improve the way you manage large-scale container orchestration. With further guidance on how you can use configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef and PowerShell, by the end of the book you'll have a broad and detailed sense of exactly what's possible with Docker - and how seamlessly it fits with a range of other platforms and tools.
Style and approach
This book takes you through some of the most sophisticated Docker tools in a way that's accessible and practical. It has been created to help you put new ideas in practice - and to demonstrate precisely what's possible with Docker.
|Product dimensions:||7.50(w) x 9.25(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Scott Gallagher has been fascinated with technology since he played Oregon Trail in elementary school. His love continued through middle school as he worked on more Apple IIe computers. In high school, he learned how to build computers and program in BASIC! His college years were all about server technologies such as Novell, Microsoft, and Red Hat. After college, he continued to work on Novell, all while maintaining an interest in all the technologies. He then moved into managing Microsoft environments and eventually into what he was most passionate aboutLinux environments. Now, his focus is around Docker and cloud environments.