Masterpieces Of Modernist Cinema / Edition 1 available in Paperback
In Masterpieces of Modernist Cinema, prominent scholars consider well-known films that seem to stand alone in the history of cinema, without obvious precursors, and without progeny: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, L’âge d’or, and Last Year in Marienbad, to name a few. Such films appear to be sui generis and in some ways incomprehensible; but as these essays demonstrate, they are best understood within contexts beyond the world of cinema. Most were heavily influenced by some aspect of ModernismSymbolism, Dada, Expressionism, Surrealism, Constructivism, Abstract Expressionism, Minimalism, etc.but the social and political events of the period have left their mark on these films as well. The essays in this collection address individual films, exploring the place of each in the history of cinema and the history of ideas, ultimately rendering each comprehensible.
Contributors are Dudley Andrew, Tom Gunning, Bruce Jenkins, Brandon W. Joseph, Anton Kaes, T. Jefferson Kline, Carrie Lambert-Beatty, Gilberto Perez, Ted Perry, Tony Pipolo, John Pruitt, P. Adams Sitney, and Yuri Tsivian.
|Publisher:||Indiana University Press|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.92(d)|
About the Author
Ted Perry is the Paris Fletcher Professor of the Arts at Middlebury College. He is author of My Reel Story (with Rene Prieto) and Michelangelo Antonioni and editor of Buky Schwartz: The Seeing I.
Table of Contents
Introduction Ted Perry
1. The Birth of Film Out of the Spirit of Modernity Tom Gunning
2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: Expressionism and Cinema Anton Kaes
3. Entr'acte: Dada as Real Illusion Ted Perry
4. Man with a Movie CameraLines of Resistance: Dziga Vertov and the Twenties Yuri Tsivian
5. L'âge d'or and the Eroticism of the Spirit Dudley Andrew
6. Meshes of the Afternoon: A Model of Visual Thinking John Pruitt
7. Brakhage and Modernism P. Adams Sitney
8. Andy Warhol's Sleep: The Play of Repetition Branden W. Joseph
9. Last Year at Marienbad: High Modern and Postmodern T. Jefferson Kline
10. Bruce Conner's Report: Contesting Camelot Bruce Jenkins
11. Au hasard, Balthazar: The Body in the Soul Tony Pipolo
12. Gehr's Still Gilberto Perez
13. Lives of Performers and the Trouble with Empathy Carrie Lambert-Beatty
List of Contributors