Ace your preparation for the skills measured by MCDST Exam 70-272—and on the job—with this official Microsoft study guide, fully updated for Windows XP Service Pack 2. Work at your own pace through a system of lessons, hands-on exercises, troubleshooting labs, and review questions.
The Readiness Review Suite on CD, featuring advanced technology from MeasureUp, provides 425 challenging questions for in-depth self-assessment and practice. You can choose timed or untimed testing mode, generate random tests, or focus on specific objectives. You get expert exam tips and detailed explanations for right and wrong answers—including a customized learning path that describes how and where to focus your studies.
Maximize your performance on the exam by learning how to:
- Configure, customize, and support Microsoft Office applications, including Microsoft Office Outlook
- NEW—Configure and support Microsoft Internet Explorer, including Pop-up Blocker and other new features
- Troubleshoot usability, customization, and connectivity issues
- Manage application security permissions and settings
- UPDATED—Set up and troubleshoot Windows Firewall and monitor antivirus software
- NEW—Keep your applications current with Microsoft Update and Automatic Updates
Your kit includes:
- Fully reengineered self-paced study guide with expert exam tips.
- Readiness Review Suite featuring 425 questions and multiple testing options.
- Case scenarios and troubleshooting labs for real-world expertise.
- NEW—120-day evaluation version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition with Service Pack 2.
- Fully searchable eBook.
- Microsoft Encyclopedia of Security eBook.
- Microsoft Encyclopedia of Networking, Second Edition, eBook.
For customers who purchase an ebook version of this title, instructions for downloading the CD files can be found in the ebook.
About the Author
Tony Northrup, MVP, MCSE, MCTS, and CISSP, is a consultant and author. Tony started programming before Windows 1.0 was released, and has also focused on Windows administration and development. He has written about 25 books covering Windows and Web development, networking, and security. Among other titles, Tony is author of MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-536): Microsoft? .NET Framework?Application Development Foundation, Second Edition.
Table of Contents
Case Scenario Exercises
About This Book
Learn at Your Own Pace
Chapter 1: Introduction to Desktop Support
Chapter 2: Resolving a Service Call
Chapter 3: Troubleshooting the Operating System
Chapter 4: Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express
Chapter 5: Supporting Microsoft Internet Explorer
Chapter 6: Installing and Configuring Office Applications
Chapter 7: Troubleshooting Office Applications
Chapter 8: Common Connectivity Problems
Chapter 9: Security and Security Permissions
Chapter 10: Protecting the Computer
Chapter 11: Troubleshooting Application Access on Multiuser, Multiple Boot, and Networked Computers
Chapter 12: Resolving Issues with Locally Attached Devices
Prepare for the Exam
Chapter 13: Configuring and Troubleshooting Applications (1.0)
Chapter 14: Resolving Issues Related to Usability (2.0)
Chapter 15: Resolving Issues Related to Application Customization (3.0)
Chapter 16: Configuring and Troubleshooting Connectivity for Applications (4.0)
Chapter 17: Configuring Application Security (5.0)
About the Authors
Exam 70-272: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System