Medical Psychotherapy draws together succinct descriptions of the major models of psychotherapy, written by specialists who offer an accessible, theoretical, and evidence based depiction of each therapy and its clinical role for patients. Written by the foremost voices on psychotherapy in the UK, this handbook will appeal to specialist trainees in psychiatry and consultants working in psychotherapy, along with psychologists, and allied health professionals.
About the Author
Jessica Yakeley, Consultant Psychiatrist in Forensic Psychotherapy, Portman Clinic, Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust, London UK;,James Johnston, Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy, Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Leeds, UK,Gwen Adshead, Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist and Psychotherapist, Southern Health Foundation Trust, UK,Laura Allison, Consultant Psychiatrist, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Jessica Yakeley is a Consultant Psychiatrist in Forensic Psychotherapy at the Portman Clinic and Director of Medical Education and Associate Medical Director, Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust. She is also a Fellow of the British Psychoanalytic Society, and Editor of the journal Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy.
James Johnston is a Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy at the Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Leeds, UK.
Gwen Adshead is a Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist and Group Psychotherapist at Ravenswood House, Fareham, UK.
Laura Allison is a Registrant of the British Psychoanalytic Council at Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, London and Kent, UK.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction, Jessica Yakeley and James Johnston
2. Concepts and models, Jessica Yakeley, Anne Cooper, Julia Bland, Gwen Adshead, Ian Kerr, Jason Hepple, Jane Blunden, Roslyn Law, Else Guthrie, Alessandra Lemma, Zoe Otter, Donna Harrison, Gail Skillington, Kristy Summers, Giovanni Polizzi, Florian Ruths, Rex Haigh, Marilyn Miller, Penelope Aspinall, Catherine Goodwin, Anna Seymour, and Nick Hayman
3. General therapeutic competences, Anuradha Menon and Shari Mysorekar
4. Assessment, Vikram S. Luthra, Aleksandar M. Pavlovic, Phil Osborne, Jessica Yakeley, Anne Cooper, and James Johnston
5. Treatment, Jan Birtle, Jessica Yakeley, Anne Cooper, Julia Bland, Gwen Adshead, Ian Kerr, Jason Hepple, Jane Blunden, Roslyn Law, Else Guthrie, Alessandra Lemma, Zoe Otter, Donna Harrison, Gail Skillington, Kristy Summers, Giovanni Polizzi, Florian Ruths, Rex Haigh, Marilyn Miller, Penelope Aspinall, Catherine Goodwin, Anna Seymour, and Nick Hayman
6. Problems through life, Laura Allison, Luigi Caparrotta, Jina Barrett, Mary Murphy-Ford, Jessica Yakeley, and Rob Hale
7. Psychotherapy and psychiatric disorders, James Johnston, Luigi Caparrotta, David Taylor, Brian Martindale, John Morgan, William Rhys Jones, Ruta Rele, Wale Lagundoye, Dinesh Bhugra, Antonio Ventriglio, Christian Foerster, Jessica Yakeley, Jo Stubley, Julian Stern, Az Hakeem, Angela Hassiotis, and Jina Barrett
8. Personality disorder, Gwen Adshead, Sue Mizen, Paul MacAllister, Tristan McGeorge, and Eman Shweikh
9. Ethics and boundaries, Gwen Adshead
10. The system, Dinesh Sinha, Lou Morgan, Kath Lovell, Anton Obholzer, Rachel Gibbons, James Johnston, and Gearoid FitzGerald
11. Psychotherapy research, Jessica Yakeley, Laura Allison, and Kevin Healy
12. Psychiatric specialties: Medical psychotherapies, applications and research, James Johnston, Jessica Yakeley, Mary Murphy Ford, Angela Hassiotis, Sandra Evans, Jan Birtle, Ruta Rele, Wale Lagundoye, and Else Guthrie