Medical Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems (2 Volume Set) / Edition 6 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
This book contains solid, research-based content presented in a concise, readable, and consistent format. Special features highlight the content that is most relevant and challenging for today's nursing students, including patient teaching, community and home care, gerontology, cultural and ethnic considerations, collaborative care, nutrition, and critical thinking. Nursing management content is discussed in a unique levels-of-care approach, with separate headings for Health Promotion, Acute Intervention, and Ambulatory and Home Care. More than just a textbook, it is a comprehensive resource with the essential information that students need to prepare for lectures, classroom activities, examinations, clinical assignments, and comprehensive care of patients.
• All content is written and reviewed by leading experts in the field to ensure that information is comprehensive, current, and clinically accurate.
• Extensive gerontologic content identifies age-related changes for each body system and alerts the nurse to differences often encountered in older patients.
• Attractive four-color design and over 1,300 full-color illustrations enhance learning by presenting disease processes and related anatomy and physiology more clearly.
• More than 70 comprehensive nursing care plans are thoroughly updated to incorporate current NANDA diagnoses, defining characteristics, expected outcomes, specific nursing interventions with rationales, evaluation criteria, and collaborative problems.
• Ethical Dilemmas boxes promote critical thinking for timely and sensitive issues that nursing students will face in practicetopics such as informed consent, patient adherence, guardianship, confidentiality, and sterilization.
• More than 70 Patient and Family Teaching Guides provide students with critical information to include in teaching patients about care of conditions and stress points for educating family members when they will be helping to care for the patient.
• Critical Thinking Exercises at the end of each nursing management chapter include Case Studies with Critical Thinking Questions to help students apply information presented and promote critical thinking. Also included are Nursing Research Issues questions to highlight current topics for research and encourage further study.
• Collaborative Management headings and Collaborative Care tables emphasize the importance of total patient care in today's health care settings and provide a clear understanding of each provider's role in managing disorders.
• Multiple-choice Review Questions at the end of each chapter test students' mastery of the content and correspond with learning objectives in the chapter openers.
• Nutritional Therapy tables summarize nutritional interventions and promote healthy lifestyles in patients with various conditions.
• Gerontologic Differences in Assessment and Effects of Aging tables present information about older adults' special needs for nursing care.
• Nursing Research boxes apply research to clinical practice and cover such timely topics such as pain medication adherence, ethnic influences on cancer screening, family-centered focus in lung transplant care, health promotion for women with multiple sclerosis, and caring for battered women in the emergency department.
• Emergency Management tables outline the treatment of health problems most likely to create medical emergencies.
• Common Assessment Abnormalities tables alert the nurse to typically encountered abnormalities.
• Nursing Assessment tables summarize the subjective and objective data for which the nursing student assesses.
• Health History tables present key assessment questions to summarize important assessment parameters.
• Diagnostic Studies tables highlight important information relevant to diagnostic studies.
• Drug Therapy tables pull out medication information in a format that provides easy student reference
• Learning Objectives at the beginning of each chapter help students identify key content
• New chapter on Culturally Competent Care discusses cultural variations affecting health care and key nursing implications to help prepare nurses to interact with the increasingly diverse patient populations entrusted to nursing care.
• New chapter on End-of-Life Care discusses the physical and psychosocial manifestations at the end of life, related legal and ethical issues, palliative care, and the special needs of caregivers.
• New chapter on Nursing Management: Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia covers Alzheimer's disease and other causes of dementia.
• Evidence-Based Practice boxes discuss non-nursing or interdisciplinary research topics.
• Genetics in Clinical Practice boxes cover timely topics such as genetic testing, Alzheimer's disease, sickle cell anemia, and genetics-related ethics issues.
• Complementary and Alternative Therapies boxes summarize what nurses need to know about topics such as various herbal remedies, acupuncture, and biofeedback.
• The accompanying CD-ROM has been expanded and includes: case studies, disorder overviews, interactive learning activities, NCLEX-style review questions, and a comprehensive glossary.
• Selected nursing care plans incorporating NIC (Nursing Interventions Classification) and NOC (Nursing Outcomes Classification) show how NIC and NOC are used in clinical practice.
• Included on the Evolve website are the concept map creator program and sample concept maps to familiarize students these clinical tools which are used by increasing numbers of nursing instructors.
• Chapter 9: Pain has been completely updated and rewritten.
• New chapter on Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery covers sprains, strains, fractures, joint surgery, and other related conditions.
• The Genetics and Altered Immune Responses chapter includes expanded content on genetics and immunosuppressant therapy for transplant patients.
• Key Terms are listed in chapter openers (with page numbers) and bolded where defined in the text narrative.
• The Addictive Behaviors chapter features a more holistic approach and contains expanded content on tobacco abuse and smoking cessation.
• New color photos throughout feature ethnic and cultural diversity.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||2 Volume Set, 6th Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.80(w) x 11.14(h) x 2.82(d)|
About the Author
Linda Bucher, RN, PhD, CEN, CNESharon L. Lewis, RN, PhD, FAANMargaret M. Heitkemper, RN, PhD, FAANShannon Ruff Dirksen, RN, PhD
Table of Contents
Section One: Concepts in Nursing Practice
1: Critical Thinking in the Nursing Process
(NEW) 2: Culturally Competent Care
3: Health History and Physical Examination
4: Patient and Family Teaching
5: Older Adults
6: Community-Based Nursing and Home Care
7: Complementary and Alternative Therapies
(NEW) 10: End-of-Life Care
11: Addictive Behaviors
Section Two: Pathophysiologic Mechanisms of Disease
12: Injury, Inflammation, and Healing
13: Genetics and Altered Immune Responses
14: Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infection
16: Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances
Section Three: Perioperative Care
17: Nursing Management: Preoperative Care
18: Nursing Management: Intraoperative Care
19: Nursing Management: Postoperative Care
Section Four: Problems Related to Altered Sensory Input
20: Nursing Assessment: Visual and Auditory Systems
21: Nursing Management: Visual and Auditory Problems
22: Nursing Assessment: Integumentary System
23: Nursing Management: Integumentary Problems
24: Nursing Management: Burns
Section Five: Problems of Oxygenation: Ventilation
25: Nursing Assessment: Respiratory System
26: Nursing Management: Upper Respiratory Problems
27: Nursing Management: Lower Respiratory Problems
28: Nursing Management: Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases
Section Six: Problems of Oxygenation: Transport
29: Nursing Assessment: Hematologic System
30: Nursing Management: Hematologic Problems
Section Seven: Problems of Oxygenation: Perfusion
31: Nursing Assessment: Cardiovascular System
32: Nursing Management: Hypertension
33: Nursing Management: Coronary Artery Disease and Acute Coronary Syndrome
34: Nursing Management: Heart Failure and Cardiomyopathy
35: Nursing Management: Arrhythmias
36: Nursing Management: Inflammatory and Valvular Heart Diseases
37: Nursing Management: Vascular Disorders
Section Eight: Problems of Ingestion, Digestion, Absorption, and Elimination
38: Nursing Assessment: Gastrointestinal System
39: Nursing Management: Nutritional Problems
40: Nursing Management: Upper Gastrointestinal Problems
41: Nursing Management: Lower Gastrointestinal Problems
42: Nursing Management: Liver, Biliary Tract, and Pancreas Problems
Section Nine: Problems of Urinary Function
43: Nursing Assessment: Urinary System
44: Nursing Management: Renal and Urologic Problems
45: Nursing Management: Acute Renal Failure and Chronic Kidney Disease
Section Ten: Problems Related to Regulatory Mechanisms
46: Nursing Assessment: Endocrine System
47: Nursing Management: Diabetes
48: Nursing Management: Endocrine Problems
49: Nursing Assessment: Reproductive System
50: Nursing Management: Breast Disorders
51: Nursing Management: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
52: Nursing Management: Female Reproductive Problems
53: Nursing Management: Male Reproductive Problems
Section Eleven: Problems Related to Movement and Coordination
54: Nursing Assessment: Nervous System
55: Nursing Management: Acute Intracranial Problems
56: Nursing Management: Stroke
57: Nursing Management: Chronic Neurologic Problems
(NEW) 58: Nursing Management: Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
59: Nursing Management: Peripheral Nerve and Spinal Cord Problems
60: Nursing Assessment: Musculoskeletal System
(NEW) 61: Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery
62: Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Problems
63: Nursing Management: Arthritis and Connective Tissue Diseases
Section Twelve: Nursing Care in Specialized Settings
64: Nursing Management: Critical Care
65: Nursing Management: Shock and Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome
66: Nursing Management: Respiratory Failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
67: Nursing Management: Selected Emergency Situations
A: Laboratory Values
B: Answer Key to Review Questions