Preface to the First Edition.
Part I: The Prologue to Graphic Design.
The visual message from prehistory through the medieval era.
1. The Invention of Writing.
3. The Asian Contribution.
4. Illuminated Manuscripts.
Part II: A Graphic Renaissance.
The origins of European typography and design for printing.
5. Printing Comes to Europe.
6. The German Illustrated Book.
7. Renaissance Graphic Design.
8. An Epoch of Typographic Genius.
Part III: The Bridge to the Twentieth Century.
The Industrial Revolution: The impact of industrial technology upon visual communications.
9. Graphic Design and the Industrial Revolution.
10. The Arts and Crafts Movement and its Heritage.
11. Art Nouveau.
12. The Genesis of Twentieth-Century Design.
Part IV: The Modernist Era.
Graphic design in the first half of the twentieth century.
13. The Influence of Modern Art.
14. Pictorial Modernism.
15. A New Language of Form.
16. The Bauhaus and the New Typography.
17. The Modern Movement in America.
Part V: The Age of Information.
Graphic design in the global village.
18. The International Typographic Style.
19. The New York School.
20. Corporate Identity and Visual Systems.
21. The Conceptual Image.
22. National Visions within a Global Dialogue.
23. Postmodern Design.
24. The Digital Revolution and Beyond.