- Symphony No. 3 in A minor ("Scottish"), Op. 56
- A Midsummer Night's Dream, incidental music, Op. 61: Hochzeitsmarsch: Allegro vivace
- A Midsummer Night's Dream, incidental music, Op. 61: Notturno: Con moto tranquillo
- A Midsummer Night's Dream, incidental music, Op. 61: Intermezzo: Allegro appassionato
- A Midsummer Night's Dream, incidental music, Op. 61: Scherzo: Allegro vivace
- A Midsummer Night's Dream, incidental music, Op. 61: Ouvertüre: Allegro di molto
Two of Felix Mendelssohn's best-loved masterpieces are showcased on this Ars Produktion SACD, and the music is presented with vivid sonorities and extraordinary vitality. Ola Rudner leads the Württembergische Philharmonie Reutligen in the suite of incidental music from "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and the "Symphony No. 3 in A minor, Scottish," and he inspires the orchestra to play with technical brilliance and accuracy, precisely the qualities this state-of-the-art technology was designed to capture. Yet they also play with effervescence and charm, which are perhaps a little harder to define in audiophile terms, but just as essential to the experience of hearing the music. This buoyant recording is a treat for experienced classical listeners and newcomers, because the joy and energy that are communicated in these performances can be equally appreciated by both. The reproduction has remarkable dimensions and a wide dynamic range, so the sound is quite realistic, whether played on a stereo system or super audio equipment.