A comprehensive, one-volume desk reference that delivers up-to-date, authoritative information about every aspect of today's world. Drawing on the vast resources and databases of Encyclopedia Britannica and Merriam-Webster, this encyclopedia provides a rich source of answers to questions about the full range of human endeavors including such important areas as art, business, computers, geography, foreign affairs, history, literature, medicine, music, politics, pop culture, religion, science, and technology.
- More than 25,000 clear and precise articles
- Over 1,700 illustrations
- 225 maps
- Includes pronunciations.
- Art:Abstract Art, Getty Museum, Keith Haring, Petronas Towers, Photorealism, world heritage site
- Business:APEC, Euro, luxury tax, systems analysis, vertical integration
- Computers:Client/server architecture, digital camera, Ethernet, Steven Jobs, pixel, Web site
- Geography:Alcatraz Island, Big Sur, Great Barrier Reef, Kosovo, Nagorno-Karabakh, Yalta
- Foreign Affairs:Kofi Annan, nonproliferation treaty, pacifism, Red Cross, Six-Day War
- Medicine:Accupressure, aromatherapy, autoimmune disease, dengue, HIV, mad cow disease, tamoxifen
- Music:Bouzouki, Kurt Cobain, eurhythmics, Wynton Marsalis, raga, singspiel
- Religion:Aga Khan, Aum Shinrikyo, Mircea Eliade, Kwanzaa, meditation, Reinhold Niebuhr
- Science:Biodiversity, Jacques Cousteau, endangered species, flavonoid, Jane Goodall, Comet Hale-Bopp
- Technology:Alternative energy, high-definition television, organic farming, recycling.
|Product dimensions:||7.30(w) x 9.88(h) x 2.02(d)|
|Age Range:||12 Years|
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Perfect for dormitory rooms, home offices and libraries, this essential volume is affordable,accessible, and authoritative. Created in cooperation with Encyclopedia Britannica as well as a host of academic consultants, Merriam Webster's Collegiate Encyclopedia is a one volume treasure of information. It holds more than 25,000 entries covering every facet of scholarship and discipline, such as the arts, business, geography, history, literature, medicine, philosophy, pop culture, religion, science, technology, and up to the minute info regarding computers. Pursuing an area of interest is easy with alphabetically sequenced listings, and 70,000 cross references which lead to additional data. A pronunciation guide with some 10,000 words increases fluency and self-confidence. Graphics heighten interest with photographs, maps, diagrams, and tables, thereby enriching awareness as well as learning. True to its reputation of producing high quality reference materials Merriam-Webster again offers a first-rate volume.