Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.
For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
If you need to deploy, manage, or secure Microsoft SQL Server 2008, this is the complete, fast-paced, task-based reference you’ve been searching for. Authored by a world-class expert on SQL Server in the enterprise, this book goes far beyond the basics, taking on the complex tasks that DBAs need to make the most of Microsoft’s flagship database platform. SQL Server MVP, Ross Mistry presents proven techniques for SQL Server 2008 installation, upgrades, backup/restore, data transfer, indexing, high availability, security, and much more. He draws on extensive testing in high-profile production environments to offer step-by-step solutions and powerful tips you won’t find anywhere else. Every chapter begins with a section identifying SQL Server 2008’s most significant new improvements, and concludes with a convenient summary of best practices. Each chapter also outlines the benefits of leveraging Windows Server 2008.
Understand how to:
- Master DBA tips, tricks, and best practices proven in actual enterprise environments
- Install, upgrade or transition to SQL Server 2008.
- Harden and Secure an implementation.
- Encrypt SQL Server from an end-to-end perspective.
- Implement high availability—and leverage SQL Server 2008’s major improvements to failover clustering and database mirroring
- Save time with SQL Server 2008’s new policy-based management tools
- Performance tune and troubleshoot a SQL Server 2008 environment.
- Optimize application performance and manage workloads with the powerful new Resource Governor
- Implement Performance Studio, maintenance plans, Transparent Data Encryption and much more…
- The book is based on Windows Server 2008
- Step by step instructions of how to implement a failover cluster on Windows Server 2008
- SQL Server PoweShell Administration Tasks
- Consolidate and virtualize SQL Server with Hyper-V
- Step by step instructions on how to install Hyper-V
- Proactively Monitor SQL Server with Operations Manager
- Install Windows Server 2008 certificates to encrypt SQL Server data
Hilary Cotter – SQL Server MVP
John Welch – SQL Server MVP
Marco Shaw – PowerShell MVP
Maciej Pilecki – SQL Server MVP
Shirmattie Seenarine – Technical Writer
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||14 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author
Ross had the opportunity to work with SQL Server 2008 two years prior to the product release. When he is not focused on his SQL Server specialties— high availability, migrations, and security—his attention turns to SQL Server development and Business Intelligence. Ross is an author, co-author, and technical editor of more than 10 books. Many of the books have been bestsellers. Recently, he coauthored Windows Server 2008 Unleashed and SQL Server 2005 Management and Administration. He was a contributing writer on Hyper-V Unleashed, Exchange Server 2007 Unleashed, and SharePoint Server 2007 Unleashed. Ross also took on the role of technical editor for SQL Server 2005 Unleashed and SQL Server 2005: Changing the Paradigm. In addition to being an author and consultant, Ross is a public speaker who conducts seminars on Microsoft topics around the world. He frequently speaks at local SQL Server user groups and international conferences. Most recently, he spoke at the SQL Server PASS Community Summit in North America, SQL Server Europe PASS, SQL Server Connections, and the
Microsoft campuses in San Francisco and the Silicon Valley. As a SQL Server Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP), Ross is heavily involved with the SQL Server community and assists by responding to questions in newsgroups, writing articles for magazines, and blogging for networkworld. com and to IT managers on Microsoft’s TechNet Community Hub site. His blog site is http://www.networkworld.com/community/mistry.
Ross' blog can be viewed at http://www.networkworld.com/community/mistry and he can reached at Ross@cco.com.
Table of Contents
1 Installing or Upgrading to the SQL Server 2008
2 Administering the SQL Server 2008 Database Engine
3 Creating Packages and Transferring Data with
4 Managing and Optimizing SQL Server 2008 Indexes
5 Administering SQL Server 2008 Full-Text Search
6 SQL Server 2008 Maintenance Practices
7 Backing Up and Restoring the SQL Server 2008
8 Hardening a SQL Server Implementation
9 Administering SQL Server Security and Authorization
10 Administering Policy Based Management
11 Encrypting SQL Server Data and Communications
12 Implementing and Managing Failover Clustering
13 Administering and Managing Database Mirroring
14 Implementing and Managing Log Shipping
15 Implementing and Administering SQL Server Replication
16 Managing Workloads and Consumption with
17 Monitoring SQL Server 2008 with Native Tools
18 Proactively Monitoring SQL Server 2008 with System
19 Performance Tuning and Troubleshooting SQL Server 2008
20 Administering SQL Server 2008 with PowerShell
21 Consolidating and Virtualizing SQL Server 2008 with Hyper-V