This is the industry’s most comprehensive and useful guide to SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2. It presents start-to-finish coverage of SQL Server’s core database server and management capabilities, plus complete introductions to Integration, Reporting, and Analysis Services, application development, and much more.
Four expert SQL Server administrators, developers, and consultants have packed this book with real-world information, tips, guidelines, and samples drawn from their own extensive experience creating and managing complex database solutions. Writing for intermediate-to-advanced-level SQL Server professionals, they focus on the product’s most complex and powerful capabilities, and its newest tools and features. For example, you’ll find invaluable information on administering SQL Server more efficiently, analyzing and optimizing queries, implementing data warehouses, ensuring high availability, and tuning performance.
The accompanying CD-ROM contains an extraordinary library of practical tools and information including sample databases and all code examples. Whether you’re responsible for SQL Server 2008 analysis, design, implementation, support, administration, or troubleshooting, no other book offers you this much value.
- Understand the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 environment, R2’s newest features, and each edition’s capabilities
- Manage SQL Server 2008 more effectively with SQL Server Management Studio, the SQLCMD command-line query tool, and Powershell
- Efficiently manage security, users, backup/restore, replication, Database Mail, and database objects—from tables and indexes to stored procedures and triggers
- Increase availability with clustering, database mirroring, and other features
- Use new Policy-Based Management to centrally configure and operate SQL Server throughout the organization
- Use SQL Server Profiler to capture queries and identify bottlenecks
- Improve performance by optimizing queries, design more effective databases, and manage workloads with the new Resource Governor
- Develop applications using SQL Server 2008’s enhancements to T-SQL and SQLCLR, .NET integration, LINQ to SQL, XML, and XQuery
- Make the most of Analysis Services, Integration Services, and Reporting Services—especially Microsoft’s new R2 reporting improvements
- Improve data security using Column-level and Transparent Data Encryption
- 15 additional chapters
- Code samples, scripts, and databases utilized within the book
- Free version of SQL Shot (performance & tuning software)
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||118 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author
Ray Rankins (Saratoga Springs, NY), owns and leads Gotham Consulting Services, and has worked with Sybase and Microsoft SQL Server for 20+ years. Paul Bertucci founded Database Architechs, a database consultancy based in the U.S. and Paris, France. He has 26+ years' experience in database design, architecture, replication, tuning, integration, high availability, and related areas. Chris Gallelli (Albany, NY), president of CGAL Consulting Services, specializes in database administration, tuning, and programming. Alex T. Silverstein (Saratoga Springs, NY) is managing principal and chief architect of the Unified Digital Group, LLC, a developer of custom SQL Server and Microsoft .NET solutions.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Guess they did not figure this out for Nook purchases...
While I was asking shipping status, off-shore customer service was rude. I ask to speak with a US based representative and was told they were going to file racial discrimination charges. When book arrived, I returned it to the local store and bought replacement for lower cost from other online provider. I will not ever again order from Barnes & Noble.