Whether you support 50 users or 5000, this practical guide provides fast answers for the day-to-day administration of the Windows XP Professional operating system. This popular, pocket-sized resource has been fully updated for Windows XP Service Pack 2, with new information on security administration, networking, maintenance, and more. Focus on essential system support issues and procedures with quick-reference tables, instructions, and lists. You’ll get the precise information you need to solve problems and get the job done—whether you’re at your desk or in the field!
Get fast facts to:
- Manage and troubleshoot the Windows environment
- Configure hardware and network devices
- Customize desktop settings and optimize the user workspace
- Manage user accounts, system access, and passwords
- Enable mobile networking and remote access
- Configure offline files, disk quotas, and shadow copies
- Schedule routine maintenance and backups
- Troubleshoot system problems and optimize performance
- NEW—Install and maintain programs, and manage disk drives and file systems
- NEW—Utilize security features including Add-on Manager, Pop-up Blocker, and Windows Firewall
|Series:||Pocket Consultant Series|
|Edition description:||2nd ed.|
|Product dimensions:||5.55(w) x 8.53(h) x 1.15(d)|
About the Author
William R. Stanek has over 20 years of hands-on experience with advanced programming and development. He has written nearly 100 books including: Microsoft Windows Vista Administrator's Pocket Consultant, Windows Server 2008 Inside Out, Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Administrator's Pocket Consultant 2nd Edition, and Microsoft IIS 7.0 Administrator's Pocket Consultant (all from Microsoft Press). He also wrote MCSE Core Exams in a Nutshell and Windows Vista: The Definitive Guide for O'Reilly.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Just as described: clear and concise. I am amazed at how much information and details Stanek can pack into 500 pages. This has to be the best Windows XP book I've ever read. When I moved to my new office last week, all my other XP books stayed in the packing boxes and this is the only book I took out. It is the only XP book I use now.