A Treasury of first hand stories in original wording by Frontiersmen of the Midwest (Primarily SE Iowa and NE Missouri) during the period of 1815-1845: construction techniques, descriptions of Native American Indians and Settlers, weddings on the frontier, a typical cabin, travel through the prairie, Indian names, annihilation of the Ioway Indians, complete with a glossary of archaic words, footnotes and index. Many stories include such rare information as hair and eye color, body build, distinguishing features, etc. Settlers mentioned in this collection include: James Alfrey, William Nelson, Richard M. Jones, Abel Galland, William Jordan, A.W. Harlan, Captain James White, Peter Gillis, Elijah Purdom Sr., David A. Ely, Giles Sullivan, Samuel C. Reid, Shapley P. Ross, David Willcock, Mr. Nowell, Abiatha B. Williams, William Meek, Isham Keith, Thomas Blankenship, Charles Gaston, Joseph Perkins, Isaac Reid, Isaac Bird, William Fallis, James Blankenship, James Jordan, Mr. Patchett, James Jenkins, Edward L. Longwell, Meashack Sigler, among others. From here, several traveled west to Texas, California, Nebraska, Utah and other states. Native Americans described include: Black Hawk, Keokuk, and Pashapaho.
Related collections and offers
|Publisher:||Floyd E Scharff|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.37(d)|
Table of Contents
Stories about Frontier Life:
- How things were built and how they lived in the 1830's
- Surprise help from "Blessed Mice"
- A description of one pioneer cow
- Difficulties of getting married in the wilderness
- Near Starvation
- BBQ saves the day
- The Ratlan and Points Clan feud
- Choice Red Eye whisky as a defense
- Governor Lucas fights for education
- Traveling from Keokuk to Des Moines Iowa in 1860 and 1870
- Early homes of Keokuk and travel problems
- Typical Iowa Cabin & Free Mail Delivery in 1830's
- Description of a spring freshet
- Pet bear cubs
- Buffalo in 1820
- Governor Lowe sends Frontier Guards to Spirit Lake.
Stories about Frontier Indians:
- Life amoung Black Hawk and his family.
- The Life and Death of Chief Black Hawk.
- About Pashapaho, Black Hawk, and Ioway Indians
- How the Indians counted - Pioneer Fare
- Pashapaho's account of the Sauk and Fox slaughter of Ioway Indians.
- The Spirit Lake Massacre of 1857.
- Some Indian Names and Words
Stories about early Frontiersmen:
James Alfrey, Abasalom Anderson, William Avery, Isaac Bird, James Blankenship, Thomas Blankenship, David A. Ely, William Fallis, Abel Galland, Charles Gaston, Peter Gillis, A. W. Harlan, James Jenkins, Richard M. Jones, James Jordan, William Jordan, Isham Keith, Edward L. Longwell, William Meek, William Nelson, Mr. Nowell, Mr. Patchett, Joseph Perkins, Elijah Purdom Sr, Samuel C Reed, Isaac Reid, Shapley P. Ross, Meashack Sigler, Giles O. Sullivan, Winnena Sullivan, Captain James White, David Willcock, Abiatha B. Williams and others.