Minor Surgical Procedures / Edition 1 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
Minor Surgical Procedures for Nurses and Allied HealthcareProfessionals is a comprehensive guide, outlining the correctprocedures for the assessment and performance of minor surgicalprocedures. Highlighting significant issues and discussing practicelimitations it defines and explores the most common applicationswithin the boundaries of clinical practice, nursing administrationand outcomes, in what has become a rapidly evolving field.
With contributions from multi-disciplinary professionals, allexperts in their field, fifteen accessible and well-illustratedchapters examine the key themes of
- Making an Assessment
- Local Anaesthesia
- Surgical Techniques
- Training and Education
- Future Developments
Minor Surgical Procedures for Nurses and Allied HealthcareProfessionals provides invaluable information on new roledevelopments, the many challenges in 'getting started' along withtopical issues such as informed patient consent and an overview ofpotential patient reactions. Ultimately it explores and advises onthe fundamental skills, both communication and technical, which arekey to success.
About the Author
Shirley Martin (Ed), Nurse Practitioner in Surgical Technology, Academic Surgical Unit, St Mary’s Hospital, Praed Street, Paddington, London
Table of Contents
List of Contributors.
Part One: Elementary Requirements.
1. Starting Out: The Wider Picture (Shirley Martin).
2. Modernisation: Role Redesign to Optimise Patient Outcomes(John Beesley).
3. Training and Education (Barry Paraskeva).
4. Nurse Prescribing (Ann Clarridge).
5. Medico-Legal Aspects of Non-Medical Practitioner Roles(Verity Danziger).
Part Two: Information Giving and Documentation.
6. Communication Skills for Minor Surgery (Debra Nestel).
7. Preoperative Assessment (Anurag Patel and SanjayPurkayastha).
8. Perioperative Management: Consent and Follow–up(Jennifer Simpson).
9. Documentation (Anurag Patel and Sanjay Purkayastha).
Part Three: Clinical Practices.
10. Maintaining Asepsis: Preventing Infection of the SurgicalSite (Christine McDougall).
11. The Theatre Environment and Equipment (ParvinderpalSains).
12. Recognising Skin Lesions (Julia Schofield).
13. Basic Anatomy and Techniques of Excising Skin Lesions(Gregory Thomas and Sanjay Purkayastha; Illustrations OliviaThomas).
14. Local Anaesthesia for Minor Operative Procedures (DavidLomax and Kausi Rao).
15. Operative Techniques for Minor Surgical Procedures (RajeshAggarwal).
16. Haemostasis and Cautery for Minor Procedures (ParvinderpalSains).
17. Future Prospects (Shirley Martin).
Glossary and Role Definitions.