Misoso: Once Upon a Time Tales from Africa by Verna Aardema, Reynold Ruffins
Illustrated in full color. From Angola to Zanzibar, this treasury is as varied and bountiful as Africa itself! Master storyteller Verna Aardema retells 12 tales of justice and revenge, greed and generosity, sly trickery, and off-the-wall silliness with her trademark humor and flair. Nearly 50 illustrations vibrantly reflect the spirit of these read-aloud delights, while a map of Africa, story source information, and a personal note from the author make this a rich volume for folk-tale lovers of all ages.
* Verna Aardema grew up in New Era, Michigan as the third in a family of nine children. A cedar swamp in the back of her house served as her inspiration and retreat as a young aspiring writer.
* At Michigan State College, Verna took many writing courses, but none that were aimed at writing for children. She didn't think about the children's book field until many years later, when she had to make up stories to get her baby daughter to eat.
* Verna writes mostly African folktales because of her fascination with that infinitely diverse continent. Out of its jungles, deserts, and great plains have come some of the most unusual and charming folktales in the world.
* As of today, Verna has published over 25 books and is still working on more. Her books have been translated into French, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese and Afrikaans.
* Verna lives in North Fort Myers, Florida, with her husband, Albert.