Pound for pound, the most revealing book on the sport today.
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is one of the fastest-growing sports in the world. Its origins hail from ancient Greece and the combat sport Pankration. Today MMA is a multi-million-dollar industry, led by the Ultimate Fighting Championship promotion, and programs in Canada, Japan, South America, Russia and Europe.
In MMA NOW!, Brian Sobie and Adam Elliott Segal share the history of mixed martial arts and present the top fighters plying the trade today. From "ground and pound" specialists to ferocious strikers to the complete-package fighters, this book is packed with 40 profiles of the most dangerous and awe-inspiring combatants to ever step into the octagon.
Fans can look forward to reading about fighters such as:
- Royce Gracie, probably the most influential figure in MMA history
- Randy Couture, champion and controversial promoter of MMA
- BJ Penn, at one time ranked No. 1 in lightweight and the welterweight divisions
- Forrest Griffin, former Georgia police officer, winner of the first season of The Ultimate Fighter
- Renan Barao, holder of one of the longest unbeaten streaks in MMA history
- Ben Askren, the star pinner with an unorthodox wrestling style.
Other dynamic MMA fighters included are George St. Pierre, Ken Shamrock, Matt Hughes, Anderson Silva, Frank Shamrock, Tito Ortiz, Chael Sonnen, Josh Koscheck, Nate Diaz, Michael McDonald, Rory McDonald, Phil Davis, and Gunnar Nelson.
Complete with more than 125 action photos, as well as essays on MMA history, the media and the movers and shakers of the sport, MMA NOW! is the most incisive book on MMA.
|Publisher:||Firefly Books, Limited|
|Product dimensions:||8.30(w) x 10.90(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Brian Sobie is an award-winning television producer, director and writer who has been creating sports programming for over two decades. He is best known for creating and producing Full Contact Fighter, the first-ever weekly MMA show in North America.
Adam Elliott Segal is a Toronto-based writer and editor. His work has been published in Sportsnet, enRoute, Chatelaine, Reader's Digest, The Vancouver Province, The Feathertale Review and subTerrain.