Towering peaks, sparkling coastline, and endless old growth forests: wherever you turn in the Pacific Northwest, adventure awaits. Pack a lunch, lace up your boots, and hit the trails with Moon Pacific Northwest Hiking. Inside you'll find:
- Diverse Hiking Options: From breathtaking coastal walks in Oregon to challenging treks around Mount Rainier, find outdoor getaways ranging from easy day hikes to multi-day backpacking trips
- Find Your Hike: Looking for something specific? Choose from strategic lists of the best hikes for waterfalls, wildlife, solitude, bringing your dog, and more, plus a breakdown of the best hikes by month
- The Top Outdoor Experiences: Wander through the damp, dense greens of a rainforest in Olympic National Park or revel in a Mars-like red rock landscape in southeastern Oregon. Watch an orange sunset on a beach adorned with sea stacks or gaze into the mouth of a volcano crater. Catch a glimpse of a bighorn sheep, see actual wagon ruts on the historic Oregon Trail, and stroll through fields of wildflowers. Walk behind a waterfall or take in unbridled views of the downtown Portland skyline
- Nearby Fun: Kick back at a local brewery after your hike, find a nearby campground for a night under the stars, or enjoy a plate fresh oysters with an ocean view
- Essential Planning Details: Each hike is described in detail and marked with round-trip distance and hiking time, difficulty, terrain type, elevation gain, and access points
- Maps and Directions: Find easy-to-use maps, driving directions to each trailhead, and details on where to park
- Expert Advice: Seasoned hikers Craig Hill and Matt Wastradowski reveal their experienced insights, local secrets, and honest opinions of each trail
- Tips and Tools: Advice on gear, first aid, and camping permits, plus background information on climate, landscape, and wildlife
- Moon Pacific Northwest Hiking covers hikes in Washington and Oregon
Whether you're a veteran or a first-time hiker, Moon's comprehensive coverage and local expertise will have you gearing up for your next adventure.
Hitting the road? Check out Moon Pacific Northwest Road Trip!
About the Author
Craig Hill's passion for the outdoors started as a child when his dad routinely dragged him away from the TV and took him to explore the mountains, forests and beaches of Washington. After studying writing at Washington State University, he turned down an opportunity to attend graduate school at the University of Missouri to work as a sportswriter. But even as he covered some of the biggest events in sports, he couldn't shake his desire to be in the mountains. So, in 2004, he strapped on his old hiking boots and walked away from a promising career and took over as the outdoor writer for The News Tribune in Tacoma.
Today, he has a strong track record in Washington's outdoor community. The National Park Service honored him in 2011 for his contributions at Mount Rainier National Park. Craig serves as the outdoor sports chairman for the Tacoma-Pierce County Sport Hall of Fame and lives in Puyallup, Washington.
Matt Wastradowski is a travel and outdoors writer based in Portland, Oregon. Whether on assignment or just for fun, chances are good he's doing something that deepens his passion and enthusiasm for the Beaver State and the broader Pacific Northwest. In recent years, he has visited nearly 150 breweries and cideries, hiked hundreds of miles, and driven roughly 20,000 miles around Oregon. He's camped in tents, yurts, and fire lookouts. And he's spent countless hours exploring seemingly every backcountry road this state has to offer, often with no bars on his iPhone.
Matt has written more than 100 articles for numerous publications, including RootsRated, REI's Co-op Blog, and Northwest Travel & Life.