Build a More Impressive Vocabulary.
Did you know that:
• The word "noisome" has nothing whatsoever to do with noise?
• "Ordinance" and "ordnance" have two distinct meanings?
• An "errant" fool is a fool who is lost, while an "arrant" fool is one whose foolishness is obvious?
If any of these facts caught you by surprise, then you need More Word Smart. More than one million people improved their vocabulary with the original Word Smart, but an educated and powerful vocabulary doesn’t stop growing with one book! All of words featured in More Word Smart belong in an impressive vocabulary. Learning and using these words effectively can help you get better grades, score higher on tests, and communicate more confidently at work.
MORE WORD SMART includes:
• A rigorous emphasis on correct pronunciation
• Specialized chapters that highlight vocabulary from classic literature, law, and religion
• A guide to frequently occurring usage errors in written English
• Two chapters focusing on the words frequently found on the SAT and other standardized tests
About the Author
The experts at The Princeton Review have been helping students, parents, and educators achieve the best results at every stage of the education process since 1981. The Princeton Review has helped millions succeed on standardized tests, and provides expert advice and instruction to help parents, teachers, students, and schools navigate the complexities of school admission. In addition to classroom courses in over 40 states and 20 countries, The Princeton Review also offers online and school-based courses, one-to-one and small-group tutoring as well as online services in both admission counseling and academic homework help.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Why More Word Smart? 1
Chapter 2 Warm-Up Tests 9
Chapter 3 The Words 15
Chapter 4 Vocabulary for the SAT (Continued from Word Smart) 265
Chapter 5 Vocabulary for the GRE (Continued from Word Smart) 275
Chapter 6 Word Roots You Should Know 283
Chapter 7 Classic Literature 307
Chapter 8 Law and Government 313
Chapter 9 Religion 321
Chapter 10 More Common Usage Errors (Continued from Word Smart) 327
Chapter 11 Our Final Exam 333
Chapter 12 The Answers 359