RECENTLY UPDATED! With more than 100 high-resolution images, a new video and detailed tour itinerary, this is the definitive guide to Morocco's imperial cities. (2015)
Travel guidebooks for the ultra curious, Approach Guides reveal a destination's essence by exploring a compelling aspect of its cultural heritage: art, architecture, history, food or wine.
Four imperial cities -- Fez, Marrakech, Meknes and Rabat -- hold a magnificent collection of Islamic art and architecture, the legacy of seven dynasties that have controlled Morocco for over 1,200 years. With towering minarets that call the faithful to prayer, multi-colored glazed ceramic tiles that recreate the flora of Quranic paradise and stucco decoration that affords the impression of infinity, Morocco offers visitors an experience like no other. It is yours to discover.
What's in this guidebook
* Comprehensive look at Morocco's art and architecture. We provide an overview of Moroccan art and architecture, isolating trademark features that you will see again and again as you make your way through the country's highlights. To make things come alive, we have packed our review with high-resolution images.
* A tour that goes deeper on the most important sites. Following our tradition of being the most valuable resource for culture-focused travelers, we offer a detailed tour of the premier sites in each imperial city, from fantastically-decorated city gates, to grand mosques, to jewel box madrasas. For each site, we present information on its history, a detailed plan that highlights its most important architectural and artistic features, high-resolution images, and a discussion that ties it all together.
* Advice for getting the best cultural experience. To help you plan your visit, this guidebook supplies logistical advice, maps and links to online resources. Plus, we give our personal tips for getting the most from your experience while on location.
* Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; and images are marked up with text that explains important features.
In total, this guidebook profiles twenty-three of Morocco's top sites for art and architecture. To help you prioritize your touring itinerary, we mark the absolute must-see sites with asterisks (*). The tour follows a clockwise rotation through the country's four imperial cities, beginning in Rabat and Salé.
* In Rabat and Salé: Abu al-Hasan madrasa*, Bab Mrisa, Bab Oudaia*, Bab Rouah, Chellah necropolis and Hassan mosque*.
* In Meknes: Bab Mansour* and Bou Inania madrasa.
* In Fez: Al-Attarine madrasa*, Al-Sahrij madrasa*, Andalous mosque, Bou Inania madrasa*, Cherratine madrasa, Kairaouine mosque* and Nejjarine fondouk.
*In Marrakech: Bab Agnaou, Badi palace, Ben Youssef madrasa*, Koubba Ba'adiyn*, Koutoubia mosque*, Saadian tombs and Tin Mal mosque (daytrip)*.
* In Casablanca: Hassan II mosque*.
Approach Guides often updates content and releases new editions of its guidebooks. These updates are FREE for existing customers. Please visit for a list of recently updated guides and instructions on downloading the new version.
PRAISE FOR APPROACH GUIDES
Compulsive (and compulsively informed) travelers, the Raezers are the masterminds behind the downloadable Approach Guides, which are filled with a university course-worth of history and insights for 62 destinations worldwide. WHY WE LOVE IT: The Raezers share our desire for deep, well-researched information on the wonders of the world.
- Travel + Leisure
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||11 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author