In his first three months in office President Harry Truman was forced to face the greatest challenges ever to confront a world leaderincluding the decision to drop the A-bomb, the beginning of the Cold War, and more. Now, the former foreign editor for Look magazine presents, for the first time, the dramatic story of Truman's first five months as president.
|Publisher:||Random House Publishing Group|
|Product dimensions:||6.45(w) x 9.55(h) x 1.34(d)|
Table of Contents
Preface to the Paperback Edition
1. "Jesus Christ and General Jackson!"
2. The Man
3. "Plowing a Field with a Mule"
4. "The So Recently Arrogant Enemies of Mankind"
5. First of All—Poland
6. "The Flags of Freedom"
7. Unconditional Surrender
8. France Shall Rise Again
9. Like Running Jackson County
10. "The Architects of the Better World"
11. The Shaping of Postwar Europe
12. Colonialism and Nationalism
13. Battle for a Launching Pad
15. "The Great American Illusion"
16. Ready to Invade Japan
17. "An Opportunity to End This War"
18. "Dimples Eight Two—Opening the Nuclear Era
19. "The Day We Have Been Waiting For"
20. The Shaping of Postwar Asia
21. "A Victory of More Than Arms Alone"
22. "We Stand on the Threshold"