Are you prepared to teach in today’s diverse classrooms? The eighth edition of this well-respected text now provides you the ability to apply what you have learned regarding multicultural education. This edition also provides real classroom video to help you relate to, understand, and celebrate eight micro-cultures that you may encounter in your own future classrooms: ethnicity and race, class and socioeconomic status, gender and sexual orientation, exceptionality, language, religion, geography, and age.
Multiculturalism Today: Experience and Apply
- NEW! TAKE ACTION: Lesson Plans for the Multicultural Classroom
- Visit MyEducationLab.com to see nine lesson plans brought to life in real classrooms across the country illustrating chapter concepts.
- Critical Incidents — Engaging features of real-life and hypothetical situations that occur in schools and classrooms today encourage you to examine your feelings, attitudes, and reactions.
- NEW! Licensure Test Preparation — Prepare for your professional licensure exam by answering sample test items, similar in format to state licensure tests, that help you consider issues raised in the chapter.
- NEW!MyEducationLab Course — For your success, this online text-specific course provides chapter pretests and posttests supported by study material to help you understand course content; and homework and exercises to help you apply chapter content and practice teaching skills. To order this book WITHOUT MyEducationLab use this ISBN: 9780136138990. To order this book WITH MyEducationLab use this ISBN: 9780137147991. Click here to learn more about MyEducationLab.
Explore Your Beliefs
- ABC News Video Insights — Watch 14 ABC News videos that explore current issues in multicultural education today including five new topics on: immigration, zero tolerance policies, evolution and creationism, social cruelty and bullying, as well as the Civil Rights Era.
- Focus Your Cultural Lens: Debate —This feature asks you to take a position on controversial school issues with for and against statements for your consideration.
- Pause to Reflect — Questions and activities promote self-awareness and ownership of your past experiences and help you consider how they can influence your current and future teaching practice in diverse classrooms.
Expand Your Knowledge of Current Topics
- NEW! Geography Chapter — This new chapter explores the impact of geography on our cultural identity. Main topics include immigration, regional cultures in the U.S., and the impact of globalization.
- NEW! New Topics — Expanded attention to sexual orientation, non-Western religions, and Evangelicals capture issues at the forefront of our constantly changing society.
|Publisher:||Allyn & Bacon, Inc.|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.50(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.90(d)|
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Foundations of Multicultural Education
Diversity in the Classroom
Pluralism in Society
Equality and Social Justice in a Democracy
Chapter 2 Ethnicity and Race
Ethnic and Racial Diversity
Chapter 3 Class and Socioeconomic Status
Interaction of Class with Race and Ethnicity, Gender, and Age
Chapter 4 Gender and Sexual Orientation
Male and Female Differences
The Women's Movement
Sexism and Gender Discrimination
Chapter 5 Exceptionality
Students with Disabilities and Those Who Are Gifted and Talented
Exceptional Individuals and Society
Disproportionate Placement in Special Education
California Proposition 227 and Special Education
Chapter 6 Language
Language and Culture
The Nature of Language
Chapter 7 Religion
Religion and Culture
Religion as a Way of Life
Religious Pluralism in the United States
Interaction of Religion with Gender, Homosexuality, and Race
Individual Religious Identity
Chapter 8 Geography
Geography and Culture
Regional Diversity in the United States
Rural, Urban, and Suburban Areas
Chapter 9 Age
Age and Culture