Musculoskeletal System at a Glance / Edition 1 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
This new title in the at a Glance series contains essential information on the anatomy, physiology, pathology and clinical management of diseases and dysfunction of the musculoskeletal system. The Musculoskeletal System at a Glance is the perfect introduction and revision aid to orthopaedics, trauma and rheumatology, and features:
- Regional coverage of normal form and function and common presentations
- Concise presentation of the core curriculum in rheumatology, orthopaedics and trauma, providing the relevant essentials for students
- Highly visual presentation
- Self-assessment case studies included to make revision more rewarding
- Bite-sized chapters - ideal as an introduction or revision text and useful for presentations and tutorials
The Musculoskeletal System at a Glance will appeal to medical students, junior doctors and GP trainees. In addition, the text is a suitable companion for nurses, and sport science, osteopath and physiotherapy students.
About the Author
Christopher Bulstrode, Clinical Reader in Trauma and Orthopaedics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Catherine Swales, Rheumatologist, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford, UK
Table of Contents
Guide to anatomical terminology.
1. Musculoskeletal structure and function.
2. Calcium homeostasis and bone metabolism.
3. History and examination – an overview.
5. Anatomy of the arm.
6. History and examination of the arm.
7. Problems presenting in the arm.
8. Upper arm trauma.
9. Lower arm trauma.
10. Anatomy of the spine.
11. History and examination of the spine.
12. Problems presenting in the spine.
13. Trauma of the spine.
14. Anatomy of the leg.
15. History and examination of the leg.
16. Problems presenting in the hip.
17. Joint replacement.
18. Problems presenting in the lower leg.
19. Upper leg trauma.
20. Lower leg trauma.
21. The rheumatological history and examination.
22. Rheumatoid arthritis.
23. The spondyloarthropathies.
24. Acute joint disease.
25. Infection and malignancy.
27. Systemic lupus erythematosus.
28. The vasculitidies.
29. Other rheumatological conditions.
30. Orthopaedics in children.
31. Sports medicine.
32. Neurological disorders and orthotics.
33. Orthopaedics in the elderly.
34. Initial management of the polytraumatised patient.
35. Wound management (single).
36. Plastic surgery (single).
38. Nerve and spinal injuries.
39. Head injuries.
40. Fractures and dislocations.
41. Compartment syndrome (single).
Self-assessment case studies: questions.
Self-assessment case studies: answers.