My God Makes House Calls

My God Makes House Calls

by Nalley T. Osland


$12.56 $13.95 Save 10% Current price is $12.56, Original price is $13.95. You Save 10%.
View All Available Formats & Editions
Choose Expedited Shipping at checkout for guaranteed delivery by Thursday, January 24

Product Details

ISBN-13: 9781440121722
Publisher: iUniverse, Incorporated
Publication date: 01/29/2009
Pages: 128
Product dimensions: 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.27(d)

Read an Excerpt

My God Makes House Calls

By Nalley T. Osland

iUniverse, Inc.

Copyright © 2009 Nalley T. Osland
All rights reserved.
ISBN: 978-1-4401-2172-2


A Desperate Search

I watched Joann pin the pattern for her Easter dress to the blue polka dot material. Earl, her husband, was in the kitchen fixing our seafood supper. They worked well together and I envied them.

"You look nice tonight," Earl said. "I haven't seen you look this good since before you got married."

I laughed. For some unknown reason, that morning I was happier than I had been in a long time. I never went anywhere without my children but this day, I decided to visit with my cousins while Stuart stayed home with our children.

I had been looking forward to this time. As Joann worked, I began to feel peculiar, like I was sinking down into something unseen. The experience was indescribable. I couldn't understand what was happening. I felt weak and shaky, almost without strength to lift my head.

I rested my head on my arms on the table. "I have to go home."

She stopped working and looked quizzically at me. "Why?"

"I don't feel well."

Earl came out of the kitchen wiping his hands on the dishcloth.

"What's the matter? Do you want to lie down? You can go in the bedroom until supper."

I knew they worked hard to make this a special night, and I was sorry to disappoint them. I was frightened and needed Stuart.

"No, I'm sorry but I need to go home. I'm not sick, I can't explain it, but I really feel bad!"

When I stood, I was so weak I wondered whether I could make it home. Earl offered to drive me, but I insisted on going alone. I didn't want to talk.

It was March, 1960. The route home to Thunderbolt, a small town on the edge of Savannah, Georgia, was dark with just a few houses. As I was passing Bonaventure Cemetery with its old oak trees and the wind blowing their wispy hanging moss, the dim lighting distorting the eerie shadows, set the stage for my terror on this narrow winding road. I met one car which gave me some comfort. I was vigilantly watching its lights as we approached each other, and the car just disappeared. It was then; I knew for certain, I was losing my mind. I was so frightened; the beat of my heart shook my body. I sensed my life was in danger and clenched the steering wheel tighter.

When I arrived home, I clumsily struggled with the locked door and rushed to my bedroom falling fully clothed in bed. How could I feel so strange and not be sick? It seemed the foot of my bed was elevated and all the blood was rushing to my head. I had never felt like this in my life. I was terrified. If I had been angry, or depressed, I might have expected something, but nothing like this. The entire day had been wonderful. I even felt normal. I thought, maybe if I cry, whatever is happening will stop! But I couldn't cry, I wasn't sad, nor did I have a reason to be sad. What is wrong with me?

As I calmed down, I could hear the sound of the television coming from the living room. Stuart didn't know I was home. I called to him, but all that came out was a raspy whisper. There wasn't enough air to call out, but he must have heard something because he came to the bedroom and was surprised to find me. I tried to tell him what was happening, but he couldn't hear me. He put his ear close to my lips and was alarmed. He called my doctor.

I don't know what the doctor thought, but he called in a tranquilizer. Although I appreciated medicine, I was wary of drugs. This night was the beginning of time when an overwhelming fear tried to take control of me. Deep within me wondered if I wasn't on the brink of insanity. What was happening to me was beyond my control. I didn't realize it was spiritual and not physical. It is written in the Bible: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

I hid what was happening so well; even Stuart didn't suspect. When we would go out for a ride or to the store, a foreboding that something bad was going to happen would grip me, and yet, I felt the same sinister feeling at the thought of staying home. No one realized how I felt, and I didn't tell them because they would think I was going crazy.

Stuart was in the Air Force and once in the spring we attended a barbeque with other military families. There were so many people, I felt threatened and wanted to escape. After that time, I avoided crowds whenever possible.

My many medical complaints (which often came in the midnight or early morning hours) were beginning to irritate my doctor. Once, while cleaning my refrigerator, I reached behind and a prong stuck my finger. It hurt. I cleaned and put medicine on it and was busy working because this was in the early part of the day. I went to bed that night, but awoke at 3:00 in the early morning. My finger was throbbing. That fearful anxiety came over me, and I knew I was going to die from Tetanus.

I woke Stuart and he called the doctor. Well, he wasn't delighted, but told Stuart to take me to the emergency room. Then he called and told them the story and that when I arrived at the ER, they were to give me the biggest shot they had. I felt so foolish, but what could I do since I was controlled by this terrible fear?

I worried the medical community would laugh at me but the fear and darkness which plagued me were more than real, and how could they help me if I didn't tell them. On the other hand, how would they treat this condition? Would they put me in a mental institution? Would I be put on strong medication or even suffer shock treatments? I had seen people in these circumstances, and I was deathly afraid.

My mother could tell something was wrong and she told me, "You better get control of yourself." That was the only advice I received. I thought. How? If I knew how, I would. I longed for help.

There wasn't anyone I could confide in. I believed if I could just speak with God, He would hear and help me, but I didn't know how to call on Him. I tried to pray but my prayers seemed to bounce off the ceiling and stay with me.


Many Paths

In spite of my health issues, I had a great husband, two well-behaved children and everything I needed. One would possibly think my life was completely happy if they measured it by what they could see. If there was something I wanted, we managed to get it. No, we didn't have much money. We had good credit, but misuse of credit was paving a path to a dead end street.

I always felt weak and defeated. After spending time with my mother, seeing her awesome talent, I wanted to be artistic like her. Sometimes when I felt the urge to be creative, I would begin a project which appealed to me and for awhile it progressed well, but gradually, it seemed as though I was overshadowed by a dark cloud. Little by little, I would lose my enthusiasm. I felt like I was spiraling downward, until I put my work aside. My projects were always unfinished. Then depression and defeat came dragging me further downward, like quicksand.

In retrospect, I realize I was blind. I guess that is what the Bible means when it says that we cannot see the gospel of Jesus because our minds are blinded by the enemy.

When we had been married about three years, Eddie was two and Robin was a tiny newborn weighing just five pounds, we had a modest house built for us in a pleasant neighborhood in Savannah, Georgia. We filled it with new furniture. It wasn't the most expensive furniture, but we strapped ourselves so tight money wise, food was in short supply.

We had pleasant neighbors and were comfortable except when it rained. Then it flooded up to our driveway. There were poisonous snakes and even an alligator swimming around in the water. Permission to build our subdivision should never have been given. The neighbors were protesting to the city officials. Our nest was being shaken, and we were ready to move.

We sold our house, making just enough money to pay off our bills and rented a large white, cinder block house in the country. It was one of five homes, each on an acre of land. The houses were attractive and it was quiet. I loved living in the country.

I went out to my clothesline one day which was in the middle of my large backyard, and as I began hanging the clothes, I glanced to my left and saw about ten or twelve large, full grown turkeys running toward me. Their eyes were wide and wild looking. I thought, they look hungry, and I'm their dinner!

I picked up my basket and sprinted for safety. I ran inside slamming my screen door as they stood on my porch looking inside, gobbling at me.

My heart was beating so fast; I had to sit down to catch my breath. So much for living in the peaceful country!

I asked one of the neighbors about the turkeys and was told, she always took a treat for them when she went out to hang her clothes. Therefore, I was right; they were hungry and expecting to eat when they saw me. I never fed them and was very cautious when I had to hang my clothes. These turkeys mysteriously disappeared in November just before Thanksgiving. Wonder where they went?

It was winter 1959, when the weather turned cold, and the cinderblock walls became damp. There was only one small heater located in the large living room. The heat didn't circulate to the other parts of the house. Even keeping the children dressed warm, they became ill. To my dismay, we began shopping once again for another house to rent which we could keep warmer.

We found an old house in Thunderbolt located on the east side of Savannah. It was known for its shrimp boat traffic. You could watch the shrimp boats as they moved up and down the river paralleling the main street. Our home was less than a block off the river. We were now nearer Savannah and my family, which made my mother happy.

Even though our house was warm and comfortable, the children were still sick, especially Eddie, who was now 3 years old. He was taking medicine and under the care of our doctor. The doctor believed he had the flu. He grew worse, running a high temperature and finally became so ill, when he opened his eyes, they were glazed. He wasn't aware of anything around him including me and was given medicine, so he could retain a little water to prevent dehydration. I could only get him to swallow one Tablespoon of water at a time. That night Stuart told me they would put him in the hospital because he wasn't improving, and they couldn't give him any more of the medicine.

Again, I became fearful. Robin was still ill but not as bad as Eddie. We had Eddie sleeping between us, so we could give him constant care. Stuart went into check on Robin, I began to pray. I didn't know until several years later that Stuart also was praying at the same time in the other room. In my prayer, I told the Lord if He would make my son well, I would give Eddie to Him to do His work. I didn't even know at that time, what God's work was.

When Stuart and I were trying to go back to sleep, Eddie opened his eyes and said, "Mama, will you fix me a hangerbur for breakfast?" I put my hand on his forehead, and it was dry and cool. God had healed him!

I was shocked! I was standing in the stark, obvious reality that there is a God, and He hears and answers prayer! I didn't know anything about God healing people. This was the first recognizable time I can pinpoint God dealing with us, drawing us to Him.

In May, 1960, we were transferred to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware. Robin would be one year old this month and in two months, Eddie would be four. We found Dover to be a beautiful, quaint little town. Mennonites rode their horse drawn carriages through the streets. They kept their land clean and neat, and sold their goods at the farmer's market. It was so peaceful. I knew that if peace could be found, I would find it in Dover. Later I saw an interview with a man in the Virgin Islands. He said, "Many people come to the Islands searching for peace and are disappointed. Before one can find peace, they must have it in their heart. You don't get peace from your surroundings. You take your discontent with you wherever you go. Find peace and then come here." I found this to be true.

We heard beforehand, housing was scarce. Many were living in old, remodeled farm houses, so we decided, since our children had been so sick just three months before, we would buy a mobile home. We traded our furniture as a down payment on the trailer and had it transported to Dover. It couldn't have been easier for us. We stayed in a motel until it arrived, then we walked into our familiar home with everything in place.

Meanwhile, I started a letter to my mother letting her know we had arrived safely. When we got in bed that night, we were tired and in deep sleep when, for some unknown reason, Stuart, Eddie and I, sat up at the same time in bed. The trailer and everything in it, was shaking. When it subsided, we laid back down, still asleep, all together, again, at the same time.

The next morning, Stuart reported to the base, I was working inside the house and Eddie was playing in the yard. I thought I heard something vaguely familiar, and then suddenly I remembered what happened while we were asleep the night before. The trailer began to shake; the brass plates on the wall began to wobble. I ran to the door to get Eddie. I wasn't used to the doors, I frantically struggled, but I couldn't get it open. I peered out the window and saw Eddie running for all he was worth finally diving head first under the trailer. We were parked near the end of the base's runway! It had been nighttime when we arrived. When the airplanes flew over, it seemed like they were just above our electric power poles.

At a later date, Joann and Earl were stationed in New Jersey and they came for a visit. I forgot to warn them about the planes. They were sleeping on the sofa when, the brass plates on the wall started vibrating, and then the trailer began to shake. Joann reached over to grab Earl, but instead found her hand full of short, coarse hair. Then, Joann, Earl and Peppi sat up wondering, what is happening? Our full grown German shepherd had crawled up between them on the small couch.

Our trailer park neighbors, who were military, told us we had a southern trailer, and it couldn't take the winters in Delaware. This disturbed us due to our children's poor health the previous winter. The white, fluffy snow began to fall, and they assured us it would only be on the ground a short time, so enjoy it. Being from the south, rarely had I seen snow. Stuart was originally from Chicago so this wasn't new to him. We did enjoy the snow, but we also worried about the winter months ahead. To everyone's surprise and our delight, our warm, tight southern trailer chugged right along. It wasn't long before we were pulling in the northern trailers water lines to warm them up. They had frozen. We were cozy and warm.

In this peaceful quiet town, I was more miserable than ever. The airmen were being sent overseas for what was to be short times, so they didn't take luggage, and they didn't return for months. My nerves were getting worse but I didn't tell Stuart. For a brief time, I lost vision in my right eye. I was apprehensive about Stuart being sent overseas for duty. I decided to sell Avon Products in order to help with our finances. Going out into the surrounding area I met new people, mostly military. Hearing the many complaints of military wives, I grew more anxious. We decided this wasn't the life for us, so when the time came for reenlistment; we decided we would get out of the military for good. This was a serious decision because it was Stuart's career. We hadn't made other career plans; we just took a step of faith, which was scary because without God, we didn't even have a faith! We were just living life the best we could. I felt even more insecure and fearful.


Excerpted from My God Makes House Calls by Nalley T. Osland. Copyright © 2009 Nalley T. Osland. Excerpted by permission of iUniverse, Inc..
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.

Table of Contents


Foreword, ix,
Acknowledgments, xi,
Prologue, xiii,
Chapter 1: A Desperate Search, 1,
Chapter 2: Many Paths, 4,
Chapter 3: Seek and You Shall Find, 12,
Chapter 4: Where You Lead, I Will Follow, 17,
Chapter 5: New Beginnings, 24,
Chapter 6: A Strange Land, 28,
Chapter 7: Learning To Love, 32,
Chapter 8: Seek First, What?, 38,
Chapter 9: Tasting of the Heavenly Gift, 47,
Chapter 10: A Glistening White Robe, 54,
Chapter 11: An Unwelcomed Intruder, 64,
Chapter 12: Wilderness, 71,
Chapter 13: God in the Wilderness, 77,
Chapter 14: Victory in the Wilderness, 84,
Chapter 15: The Seducer Revealed, 92,
Chapter 16: Going Home, 101,
Afterword, 107,

Customer Reviews

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

See All Customer Reviews