A brand is just a logo - everyone knows that, don't they? After all, it's not as though a good brand can save a bad business, and besides, the digital revolution is making branding irrelevant...
Myths of Branding , written by renowned branding experts Andy Milligan and Simon Bailey, explores the huge number of misguided, mistaken and blatantly false myths that abound in the branding arena. From the belief that developing brands is nothing more than fiddling with logos, to the perception that it's a 'soft' area of marketing that doesn't go beyond visual identity - these myths are all surprisingly entrenched, yet could not be further from the truth.
Myths of Branding takes the most up-to-date research and evidence to debunk these popular misconceptions, and replaces them with the reality of what it's really like to work in the world of branding. Jam-packed with entertaining anecdotes and useful information that practitioners can learn from, it guarantees a deeper, sharper understanding of the realities of branding and brand management.
About the Author
Andy Milligan is a leading international branding consultant. He has worked for almost 20 years advising major organizations on strategies for brand building, customer experience and internal culture, and comments regularly in the media on brand issues. He is the co-author of On Purpose and Bold .
Simon Bailey is an experienced business leader and brand specialist who advises CEOs on using their brand to drive business growth. He was formerly European CEO of Interbrand and UK CEO of WPP agency the Brand Union. His agencies have twice been awarded 'Agency of the Year' by Marketing Magazine.
Table of Contents
- Chapter - 01: Myth 1 - Brands are Just a Way of Charging You More for the Same Product;
- Chapter - 02: Myth 2 - Once Lost, Brand Trust Can Never be Rebuilt;
- Chapter - 03: Myth 3 - A Good Brand Can Prop Up a Bad Business;
- Chapter - 04: Myth 4 - Technology is Diminishing the Power of Brands;
- Chapter - 05: Myth 5 - Branding is Just About Identity;
- Chapter - 06: Myth 6 - Brands Don’t Have Any Real Economic Value;
- Chapter - 07: Myth 7 - There is No Such Thing as Brand Loyalty;
- Chapter - 08: Myth 8 - The Customer is Always Right;
- Chapter - 09: Myth 9 – It Takes Large Resources and Years of Effort to Build a Global Brand;
- Chapter - 10: Myth 10 - A Brand is 'Owned' by the Marketing Department;
- Chapter - 11: Myth 11 - Brand Purpose is About Effective Corporate Social Responsibility;
- Chapter - 12: Myth 12 - Customers are Seeking a Conversation with your Brand;
- Chapter - 13: Myth 13 - There are No Real Tools to Help you Manage your Brand;
- Chapter - 14: Myth 14 - In Certain Businesses, Brands Really Don’t Matter;
- Chapter - 15: Myth 15 - Branding has Nothing to Do With the Customer Experience;
- Chapter - 16: Myth 16 - Branding is All About the Product