NATEF Correlated Job Sheets for Automotive Chassis Systems / Edition 4 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Prentice Hall
Student supplement for:
Automotive Chassis Systems, 4/e
- James D. Halderman
- ISBN-10: 0132384876
- ISBN-13: 9780132384872
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.10(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.80(d)|
Table of Contents
Section One: Careers in the Automotive Service Area
Chapter 1-Automotive Background and Overview
Chapter 2-Careers in the Automotive Industry
Chapter 3-Starting a Career in the Automotive Industry
Chapter 4-Working as a Professional Service Technician
Chapter5- Technician Certification
Section Two: Safety and Environmental
Chapter 6- Shop Safety
Chapter 7-Environmental and Health Concerns
Section Three: Tools, Shop Equipment and Measuring
Chapter 8-Fasteners and Thread Repair
Chapter 9-Hand Tools
Chapter 10-Power Tools and Shop Equipment
Chapter 11-Vehicle Hoisting
Chapter 12- Measuring Systems and Tools
Section Four-Principles, Math and Calculations
Chapter 13-Scientific Principles and Materials
Chapter 14-Math, Charts, and Calculations
Section Five: Vehicle Service Information and Routine Maintenance
Chapter 15-Service Information
Chapter 16-Vehicle Identification and Emission Ratings
Chapter 17-Preventative Maintenance and Service Procedures
Section Six: Engine Repair
Chapter 18- Gasoline Engine Operation, Parts, and Specification
Chapter 19-Diesel Engine Operation, Parts, and Specifications
Chapter 20-Cooling System Operation and Diagnosis
Chapter 21-Lubrication System Operation and Diagnosis
Chapter 22- Intake and Exhaust Systems
Chapter 23-Turbocharging and Supercharging
Chapter 24-Engine Condition Diagnosis
Chapter 25- Engine Disassembly, Cleaning, and Crack Detection
Chapter 26-Cylinder Heads and Valves
Chapter 27- Camshafts and Valve Trains
Chapter 28- Pistons, Rings and Connecting Rods
Chapter 29-Engine Blocks, Crankshafts and Bearings
Chapter 30-Engine Blueprinting and Assembly
Section Seven-Electrical and Electronic Systems
Chapter 31-Electrical Fundamentals
Chapter 32-Electrical Circuits and Ohm’s Law
Chapter 33-Series, Parallel, and Series-Parallel Circuits
Chapter 34-Digital Meters and Scope Usage
Chapter 35-Automotive Wiring and Wire Repair
Chapter 36-Wiring Schematics and Troubleshooting
Chapter 37-Capacitance and Magnetism
Chapter 38-Electronic Fundamentals
Chapter 39-Batteries and Battery Testing
Chapter 40-Cranking System Operation and Diagnosis
Chapter 41-Charging System Operation and Diagnosis
Chapter 42-Lighting and Signaling Circuits
Chapter 43-Driver Information and Navigation Systems
Chapter 44-Horn, Wiper, and Blower Motor Circuits
Chapter 45-Accessory Circuits
Chapter 46-Restraint Systems and Airbags
Chapter 47-Audio System Operation and Diagnosis
Chapter 48- Heating and Air Conditioning Components and Operation
Chapter 49-Automatic Air Conditioning System Diagnosis
Chapter 50-Heating ad Air Conditioning System Diagnosis
Chapter 51-Heating and Air Conditioning System Service
Section Nine-Engine Performance
Chapter 52-Gasoline and Alternative Fuels
Chapter 53-Computer and Network Fundamentals
Chapter 54-On Board Diagnosis
Chapter 55- Computer Sensors
Chapter 56-Ignition System Components and Operation
Chapter 57-Ignition System Diagnosis and Service
Chapter 58-Fuel Pumps, Lines, and Filters
Chapter 59-Fuel-Injection Components and Operation
Chapter 60- Fuel Injection System Diagnosis and Service
Chapter 61-Vehicle Emission Standards and Testing
Chapter 62-Emission Control Devices Operation and Diagnosis
Chapter 63-Scan Tools and Engine Performance Diagnosis
Section Ten-Hybrid and Fuel Cell Vehicles
Chapter 64-Hybrid Electric Vehicle Fundamentals
Chapter 65-Hybrid Electric Vehicle Safety Procedures
Chapter 66-Fuel Cells and Advanced Technologies
Chapter 67-Brake System Components and Performance Standards
Chapter 68-Braking System Principles
Chapter 69-Brake Hydraulic Systems
Chapter 70-Hydraulic Valves and Switches
Chapter 71-Brake Fluid and Lines
Chapter 72-Brake Bleeding Methods and Procedures
Chapter 73-Wheel Bearings and Service
Chapter 74-Drum Brake Parts and Operation
Chapter 75-Drum Brake Diagnosis and Service
Chapter 76-Disc Brake Parts and Operation
Chapter 77-Disc Brake Diagnosis and Service
Chapter 78-Parking Brake Operation, Diagnosis, and Service
Chapter 79-Machining Brake Drum and Rotors
Chapter 80-Power-Assisted Brake Device Operation and Diagnosis
Chapter 81-Antilock Brake and Traction Control Systems
Chapter 82-ABS Diagnosis and Service
Chapter 83- Tires and Wheels
Chapter 84-Tire and Wheel Service
Chapter 85-Suspension System Components and Operation
Chapter 86-Front Suspension and Service
Chapter 87-Rear Suspension and Service
Chapter 88-Electronic Suspension Systems
Chapter 89-Steering Columns and Gears
Chapter 90-Steering Linkage and Service
Chapter 91-Power Assisted Steering Operation and Service
Chapter 92-Wheel Alignment Principles
Chapter 93-Alignment Diagnosis and Service
Section Thirteen-Manual Drive Train and Axles
Chapter 95-Manual Transmission/Transaxles
Chapter 96-Drive Shafts and CV Joints
Chapter 97-Drive Axles Shaft and CV Joint Service
Chapter 99- Four-Wheel Drive and All-Wheel Drive
Chapter 100-Automatic Transmission/Transaxle Principles
Chapter 101-Hydraulic Components and Control Systems
Chapter 102-Automatic Transmission/Transaxles Diagnosis and In-Vehicle Service
Chapter103-Automatic Transmission/Transaxle Service Unit Repair
Appendix 1- ASE Certification Test Correlation Chart
Appendix 2- NATEF Correlation Chart
This comprehensive textbook is divided into sections that correspond to the eight areas of certification as specified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) and the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF). The areas of the ASE material certification test are listed in the objectives at the beginning of each chapter, and all laboratory worksheets are correlated to the NATEF Task List.Diagnostic Approach
The primary focus of this textbook is to satisfy the need for problem diagnosis. Time and time again, the author has heard that technicians need more training in diagnostic procedures and skill development. To meet this need and to help illustrate how real problems are solved, diagnostic stories are included throughout. Each new topic covers the parts involved plus their purpose, function, and operation, as well as how to test and diagnose each system.Multimedia System Approach
The multimedia CD-ROM that accompanies and supplements the textbook is informative and also makes learning more fun for the student. The CD includes:
- Live action videos and animation to help students understand complex systems.
- A glossary of automotive terms.
- Sample ASE test questions with immediate correct answer feedback.
- Sample worksheets.
- ASE content list for each of the eight ASE areas.
- NATEF Task Lists forall eight ASE areas.
Included with the book is a coupon that entitles the owner to free access to an ASE test preparation Website for an extended time period. Now you can practice and take the ASE certification tests with confidence. Included at this Website are ASE-type questions for each of the eight ASE automotive areas plus sample questions for advanced level engine performance (L1). There are over 2,000 total questions. The questions are presented 10 at a time, then graded (marked). The correct answer is then given as you scroll back through the questions. This feature allows students to study at their own pace.Worktext Approach
A separate worktext accompanies the book. Each worktext page is correlated to the NATEF Task List. The worksheets included in the worktext help instructors and students apply the material presented to everyday-type activities and typical service and testing procedures. The worksheets show typical results and a listing of what could be defective if the test results are not within the acceptable range. These sheets help build diagnostic and testing skills.Chapter Components
- Each chapter opens with a list of learning objectives including the ASE content area covered by the chapter. These objectives identify the topics covered and goals to be achieved in the chapter.
- Most chapters contain tech tips, diagnostic stories, frequently asked questions, high-performance tips, and safety tips.
- All chapters contain a summary at the end that highlights the material covered in the chapter.
- Review questions (discussion-type questions) are offered at the end of each chapter.
- Each chapter contains ASE certification-type questions.
Various type styles are used throughout this text to emphasize words, identify important terms, and highlight figure references. Italic type is used to emphasize words and terms. For example, the word not is often printed in italic type when it is important that an operation be avoided. New terms appear in bold type at first usage. These terms are defined when introduced, and most are listed in the glossary at the back of the text.Troubleshooting Charts
Troubleshooting charts have been added to the end of each service chapter. These charts will help the reader diagnose and repair common problems.Color Use
Color is used extensively throughout this text to enhance understanding and highlight important information. Hundreds of color photographs help students grasp the subject material.New Features of the Second Edition
- All eight areas of ASE and NATEF thoroughly covered and correlated.
- ASE areas and content areas included in the objectives at the beginning of each chapter.
- Hundreds of new color photographs and line drawings to help students understand the content material and to bring the subject alive.
- Expanded electrical and electronic content with an additional three chapters including a chapter on audio systems.
- Expanded coverage of OBD II and I/M 240.
- Expanded coverage on manual and automatic transmissions.
- Many new photo sequences help to explain service procedures.
- New topics covered include use of digital storage oscilloscopes (DSO) and clamp-on multimeters, to name but two.
- Each technical topic discussed in one place or chapter. Unlike other textbooks, this book is written so that the theory, construction, diagnosis, and service of a particular component or system is presented in one location. There is no need to search through the entire book for other references to the same topic.
- Spanish-language glossary.
A comprehensive instructor package is available free when the text is adopted for classroom use from Prentice Hall (call 1-800-526-0485 or visit Prentice Hall online at wwwprenhall.com).
This instructor package includes the following:
- PowerPoint presentation on topics covered in the text.
- Instructor CD with suggested student activities, a test bank, photo library with hundreds of digital color photos, as well as many other useful elements for the classroom.
- Answers to all questions in the textbook.
- Companion Website where instructors can obtain additional helpful teaching material and handouts, as well as links that can help students and instructors keep up to date.