- Focused content highlights the vital links between neurology and other medical specialties, promoting a better understanding of all disciplines, as well as enhancing patient care.
- Comprehensive coverage of advances in pharmacology, such as new antibiotics for infectious diseases, helps you successfully manage a full range of diseases and disorders.
- An interdisciplinary team of authors provides insight into the neurological aspects of the conditions you see in daily practice.
- Easy-to-read chapters apply equally well to neurologists and non-neurologists, providing essential knowledge that covers the full spectrum of medical care.
- Expanded chapters emphasize key diagnostic and therapeutic information, including appropriate testing and treatments for neurological disease.
- An emphasis on advances in pharmacology and new imaging techniques helps you better manage your patients and understand how new drugs or therapies will affect your patients and practice.
- New chapters on auditory and vestibular disease, ocular disease, and cutaneous disease provide a well-rounded look at the specialty.
- Updated illustrations make complex concepts easier to understand and apply.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||31 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author
He is the author of more than 230 published medical or scientific articles, as well as the author or editor of some 29 books. His published scientific contributions led to the award of a Doctorate in Science, an advanced doctorate in the Faculty of Science, by the University of London in 2000. He is the one of the two editors-in-chief of the four-volume Encyclopedia of the Neurological Sciences (2nd Edition, Academic Press, 2014), and one of the series editors of the multi-volume Handbook of Clinical Neurology (Elsevier). He was Editor-in Chief of the journal Muscle&Nerve from 1998 to 2007 and serves on numerous other editorial boards. He was a director of the American Board of Psychiatry&Neurology for 8 years, and chair of the board in 2011.
Dr. Aminoff has received numerous prizes including the Lifetime Achievement Award of the American Association of Neuromuscular&Electrodiagnostic Medicine in 2006 and the A.B. Baker Award of the American Academy of Neurology for life-time achievements and contributions to medical education in 2007. In 2010, he was awarded the title of “Distinguished Professor at the University of California, San Francisco.
He is married and has three children, one a pediatric rheumatologist, another a federal defense attorney, and the third an assistant district attorney.
Table of Contents1. Breathing and the Nervous System
2. Neurological Complications of Aortic Disease and Surgery
3. Neurological Complications of Cardiac Surgery
4. Neurological Manifestations of Congenital Heart Disease and Cardiac Surgery in Children
5. Neurological Manifestations of Acquired Cardiac Disease and Dysrhythmias and of Interventional Cardiology
6. Neurological Manifestations of Infective Endocarditis
7. Neurological Complications of Hypertension
8. Postural Hypotension
9. Neurological Complications of Cardiac Arrest
10. Cardiac Manifestations of Acute Neurological Lesions
11. Neurocutaneous Syndromes
12. Neurological Manifestations of Cutaneous Diseases
13. Neurological Manifestations of Hematological Disorders
14. Hepatic Encephalopathy
15. Other Neurological Disorders Associated with Gastrointestinal Disease
16. Disturbances of Gastrointestinal Motility and the Nervous System
17. Nutritional Disorders of the Nervous System
18. Neurological Complications of Renal Failure
19. Neurological Manifestations of Electrolyte Disturbances
20. Thyroid Disease and the Nervous System
21. Diabetes and the Nervous System
22. Sex Hormones and the Nervous System
23. Other Endocrinopathies and the Nervous System
24. Neurological Disorders Associated with Bone and Joint Disease
25. Otoneurological Manifestations of Systemic and Otological Disease
26. Ophthalmological Manifestations of Neurological Disease
27.Paraneoplastic Syndromes Involving the Nervous System
28.Neurological Complications of Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy
29. Connective Tissue Diseases and the Nervous System
30. Psychiatry and Neurology
31. Postconcussion Syndrome
32. Neurological Aspects of Sleep
33. Sphincter Disorders and the Nervous System
34. Sexual Dysfunction in Patients with Neurological Disorders
35. Pregnancy and Disorders of the Nervous System
36. Iatrogenic (Drug-Induced) Disorders of the Nervous System
37. Alcohol and the Nervous System
38. Neurological Complications of Drugs of Abuse
39. Neurological Complications of Toxin Exposure in the Workplace
40. Acute Bacterial Infections of the Central Nervous System
41. Neurological Manifestations of Spirochetal Infections
42. Tuberculosis of the Central Nervous System
43. Neurological Complications of Leprosy
44. Nervous System Complications of Systemic Viral Infections
45. AIDS and the Nervous System
46. Neurological Complications of Organ Transplantation and Immunosuppressive Agents
47. HTLV-I Infection and the Nervous System
48. Fungal Infections of the Central Nervous System
49. Parasitic Infections of the Central Nervous System
50. Neurological Complications of Immunization
51. Sarcoidosis of the Nervous System
52. Neurological Complications in Critically Ill Patients
53. Neurological Complications of Imaging Procedures
54. Neurological Complications of Anesthesia
55. Neurological Complications of Thermal and Electrical Burns
56. Abnormalities of Thermal Regulation and the Nervous System
57. The Neurology of Aging
58. Seizures and General Medical Disorders
59. Involuntary Movements in General Medical Disorders
60. Neuromuscular Complications of General Medical Disorders
61. Stroke as a Complication of General Medical Disorders
62. Disorders of Consciousness in Systemic Disease
63. Care at the End of Life