The 5th edition of this indispensable resource captures the latest insights in neonatal neurology in a totally engaging, readable manner. World authority Dr. Joseph Volpe has completely revised his masterwork from cover to cover, describing everything from the most up-to-the-minute discoveries in genetics through the latest advances in the diagnosis and management of neurologic disorders. He delivers all the clinical guidance you need to provide today's most effective care for neonates with neurological conditions.
- Provides comprehensive coverage of neonatal neurology, solely written by the field’s founding expert, Dr. Joseph Volpe - for a masterful, cohesive source of answers to any question that arises in your practice.
- Focuses on clinical evaluation and management, while also examining the many scientific and technological advances that are revolutionizing neonatal neurology.
- Organizes disease-focused chapters by affected body region for ease of reference.
- Offers comprehensive updates from cover to cover to reflect all of the latest scientific and clinical knowledge, from our most current understanding of the genetic underpinnings of neurologic disease, through the most recent neuroimaging advances . . . state-of-the-art guidelines for evaluation, diagnosis, and prognosis . . . and the newest management approaches for every type of neonatal neuropathology.
- Features a wealth of new, high-quality images that capture the many advances in neonatal neuroimaging, including numerous MR images.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||53 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author
Dr. Volpe generally is credited with having pioneered the field of neonatal neurology. His work in that field has included both clinical and basic research. The principal focus of his research has been elucidation of the pathogenesis of the major forms of brain injury in the newborn, and prevention of this injury. He has contributed more than 300 original articles and his single-authored book, Neurology of the Newborn, over five editions, is considered "the bible" in the field. Previous reviews have characterized the book as “an extraordinary work of scholarship, “so comprehensive, it is beyond criticism, “a treasure for those interested in the neurologic disorders of the newborn, “the standard reference for all involved in the care of the newborn infant.
Dr. Volpe is also widely recognized for his dedication to the training of academic child neurologists and neonatologists, and many of his approximately 100 past trainees are key figures in programs in neonatal neurology throughout the world. He also has trained approximately 50 research fellows in clinical and basic research, most of whom hold academic positions worldwide.
He has received many awards nationally and internationally, including the most prestigious awards of major academic societies of pediatrics child neurology, and neonatology worldwide. In 1997 he was elected to the Institute of Medicine (National Academy of Medicine) of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences. In 2007 the Boston Children’s Hospital created the Joseph J. Volpe Chair in Neurology, currently held by Dr. Basil Darras, one of the editors of this book.
In this sixth edition, Dr. Volpe has led a distinguished group of editors and authors, all of whom are former trainees and colleagues. The book retains the dedication to excellence apparent in the previous five single-authored editions.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews