The premier study Bible used by scholars, pastors, undergraduate and graduate students, The New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha, featuring a protective two-piece box, offers a vast range of information, including extensive notes by experts in their fields; in-text maps, charts, and diagrams; supplementary essays on translation, biblical interpretation, cultural and historical background, and other general topics.
Extensively revisedhalf of the material is brand newfeaturing a new design to enhance readability and brand-new color maps, the Annotated Fourth Edition adds to the established reputation of this essential biblical studies resource. Many new and revised maps, charts, and diagrams further clarify information found in the Scripture text. In addition, section introductions have been expanded and the book introductions present their information in a standard format so that students can find what they need to know. Of course, the Fourth Edition retains the features prized by students, including single column annotations at the foot of the pages, in-text charts, and maps, a page number-keyed index of all the study materials in the volume, and Oxford's renowned Bible maps. This timely edition maintains and extends the excellence the Annotated's users have come to expect, bringing still more insights, information, and perspectives to bear upon the understanding of the biblical text.
· The renowned New Revised Standard Version Bible translation, the scholarly standard for study of the Bible
· Wholly revised, and greatly expanded book introductions and annotations.
· Annotations in a single column across the page bottom, paragraphed according to their boldface topical headings.
· In-text background essays on the major divisions of the biblical text.
· Essays on the history of the formation of the biblical canon for Jews and various Christian churches.
· More detailed explanations of the historical background of the text.
· More in-depth treatment of the history and varieties of biblical criticism.
· A timeline of major events in the ancient Near East.
· A full index to all of the study materials, keyed to the page numbers on which they occur.
· A full glossary of scholarly and critical terms.
· 36-page section of full color New Oxford Bible Maps, approximately 40 in-text line drawing maps and diagrams.
Classic but not stodgy, up-to-date but not trendy, The New Oxford Annotated Bible: 4th Edition is ready to serve new generations of students, teachers, and general readers.
|Publisher:||Oxford University Press, USA|
|Edition description:||Fourth Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.50(w) x 9.10(h) x 1.60(d)|
Table of Contents
The Editors' Preface
To the Reader
Alphabetical listing of the Books of the Bible
The Hebrew Bible
--The Historical Books
--The Poetical and Wisdom Books
--The Prophetic Books
The Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books
--Books and Additions to Esther and Daniel that are in the Roman Catholic, Greek, and Slavonic Bibles
--Books in the Greek and Slavonic Bibles; not in the Roman Catholic Canon
--In the Slavonic Bible and in the Latin Vulgate Appendix
--In the Appendix to the Greek Bible
The New Testament
--The Acts of the Apostles
--Letters/Epistles in the New Testament
General Essays, Tables
--The Canons of the Bible
--Translation of the Bible into English
--The Hebrew Bible's Interpretation of Itself
--The New Testament Interprets the Jewish Scriptures
--Jewish Interpretation in the Premodern Era
--Christian Interpretation in the Premodern Era
--The Interpretation of the Bible: From the Nineteenth to the Mid-twentieth Centuries
--Contemporary Methods of Biblical study
--The Geography of the Bible
--The Ancient Near East
--The Persian and Hellenistic Periods
--The Roman Period
--Chronological Table of Rules
--Weights and Measures
Translations of Ancient Texts
Index to the Study Materials
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I forgot to check to see if this was in hardcover before I made the transaction. It is large and heavy and somewhat difficult to handle in paperback, but other than that I love it!
I just received the book and it matches the writen product description that does not include Apocrypha. The picture is a graphic misrepresentation of the product being sold here.