In this substantial volume, Thomas Schreiner takes up the study of New Testament theology, looking for the themes that emerge from a detailed reading of the whole rather than considering the individual writings separately.
Two themes in particular emerge. The first concerns redemptive history and the kingdom of God. The New Testament writers adopt the Old Testament vision of God's reign and affirm that it has come in Jesus Christ, although final fulfillment is yet to come. Second, the ultimate goal of the kingdom is God's glory. Schreiner goes on to relate these themes to the life of the believer and the community of faith.
Pastors and students will find this a comprehensive and illuminating survey of the unifying themes found throughout the New Testament.
|Publisher:||Baker Publishing Group|
|Product dimensions:||9.26(w) x 6.26(h) x 2.30(d)|
About the Author
Thomas R. Schreiner (PhD, Fuller Theological Seminary) is the James Buchanan Harrison Professor of New Testament Interpretation at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is the author or editor of numerous books, including Paul, Apostle of God's Glory in Christ: A Pauline Theology and Romans in the Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament series.
Table of Contents
Part 1: The Fulfillment of God's Saving Promises: The Already-Not Yet
1. The Kingdom of God in the Synoptic Gospels
2. Eternal Life and Eschatology in John's Theology
3. Inaugurated Eschatology Outside the Gospels
Part 2: The God of the Promise: The Saving Work of the Father, Son, and Spirit
4. The Centrality of God in New Testament Theology
5. The Centrality of Christ in the Synoptic Gospels
6. The Messiah and the Son of Man in the Gospels
7. The Son of God, I Am, and Logos
8. Jesus' Saving Work in the Gospels
9. Jesus and His Saving Work in Acts
10. The Christology of Paul
11. The Saving Work of God and Christ in Paul
12. The Christology of Hebrews-Revelation
13. The Holy Spirit
Part 3: Experiencing the Promise: Believing and Obeying
14. The Problem of Sin
15. Faith and Obedience
16. The Law and the Moral Life of Believers
Part 4: The People of the Promise and the Future of the Promise
17. The People of the Promise
18. The Social World of God's People
19. The Consummation of God's Promises