This invaluable resource by Dr Lucy Jane Miller and Doreit Bialer helps teach cost effective, functional, on the spot tips to use for children with sensory issues at home, at school, or in a community setting.
Any parent, teacher, or therapist can use this book and help a child with sensory or motor issues!
|Publisher:||Future Horizons, Inc.|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||5 MB|
About the Author
As founder of the first comprehensive Sensory Processing Disorder research program nationwide and author of groundbreaking Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) , Dr. Lucy Jane Miller 's name is synonymous with sensory research, education, and treatment.
Dr. Miller has been investigating, analyzing, and explaining SPD to other scientists, professionals, and parents since she studied under sensory integration pioneer A. Jean Ayres, Ph.D., more than thirty years ago. Since then, studies by Dr. Miller and her colleagues have helped bring SPD widespread recognition, and her work with families has improved countless lives. Thanks specifically to Dr. Miller's mobilization of the research community, SPD now appears in two diagnostic manuals: the ICDL's Diagnostic Manual for Infancy and Early Childhood and The Diagnostic Classification: Zero to Three. Her application has led to consideration of SPD for inclusion in the 2013 revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-V). Dr. Miller has also developed seven nationally standardized tests for use worldwide to assess and diagnose SPD and other developmental disorders and delays.
Dr. Miller has been featured on NBC's Today Show and ABC's 20/20, in The New York Times and numerous other popular and professional publications. She is the author of more than sixty articles and/or chapters in scientific and professional journals, magazines, and textbooks and is a frequent presenter or speaker at conferences and workshops worldwide. She has received more than thirty funded awards and grants to further research on SPD and other childhood disabilities.
In 2004, Dr. Miller received the Award of Merit from the American Occupational Therapy Association, the profession's highest honor. In 2005, she was awarded the Martin Luther King Jr. Humanitarian award by the state of Colorado.
Doreit S. Bialer, MA, OT R/L is a nationally recognized occupational therapist with over 20 years of experience working with SPD in children and adolescents. She is certified in Neurodevelopmental Therapy in Pediatrics and in the administration and interpretation of the Sensory Integration and Praxis tests. Ms. Bialer is an independent contractor in multiple public schools and has a large private practice and sensory integration clinic with a focus on pre-school and school-age children. She was the director of one of Long Island’s first sensory integration gyms, has been a consultant to school districts, and developed a Vestibular Rehabilitation Clinic in association with New York University Hospital. Ms. Bialer served as a National consultant to HealthSouth mentoring other health professionals to develop pediatric practices across the country.
She has published articles on Fragile X Syndrome and Vestibular Rehabilitation, is the author of Current, Best Strategies to Help Occupational Therapists Support Students and Become Integral School Team Members, and has lectured and provided numerous clinical workshops on Sensory Integration, Handwriting, and on School Based Therapy.
Ms. Bialer received an Advanced Masters Degree in Occupational Therapy from New York University and has been an adjunct instructor in Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology at New York University and at York College.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introduction- Insights from the authors
Chapter 2. Sensory Processing Disorder
- Sensory Systems and Related Function
- Sensory Processing
- Sensory Processing Disorder
- Individual Differences
Chapter 3. Overview of Sensory Domains and A SECRET Treatment Model
- The Eight Sensory Domains
- A SECRET Model for Intervention
Chapter 4. Emotion Regulation
- Characteristics of Emotion Dysregulation
- Symptoms and Behaviors
- Principles of Intervention
- Additional Strategies for Emotion Modulation
Chapter 5. Sensory Modulation Disorder: Sensory Over Responsivity
- What is Sensory Modulation? What is Sensory Over Responsivity?
- Symptoms and Behaviors in Sensory Over Responsivity
- Principles of Intervention with Sensory Over Responsivity
- A SECRET for Sensory Over Responsivity
- Additional Strategies for Sensory Over Responsivity
Chapter 6. Sensory Modulation Disorder: Sensory Under Responsivity
- What is Sensory Under Responsivity
- Symptoms and Behaviors of Sensory Under Responsivity
- Principles of Intervention with Sensory Under Responsivity
- A SECRET for Sensory Under Responsivity
- Additional Strategies for Sensory Under Responsivity
Chapter 7. Sensory Modulation Disorder: Sensory Craving
- What is Sensory Craving
- Symptoms and Behaviors of Sensory Craving
- Principles of Intervention with Sensory Craving
- A SECRET for Sensory Craving
- Additional Strategies for Sensory Craving
Chapter 8. Sensory Discrimination Disorder
- What is Sensory Discrimination Disorder
- Symptoms and Behaviors of Sensory Discrimination Disorder
- Principles of Intervention with Sensory Discrimination Disorder
- A SECRET for Sensory Discrimination Disorder
- Additional Strategies for SDD
Chapter 9. Sensory Based Motor Disorder: Postural Disorder
- What is Sensory Based Motor Disorder
- Symptoms and Behaviors of Postural Disorder
- Principles of Intervention with Postural Disorder
- A SECRET for Postural Disorder
- Additional Strategies for Postural Disorder
Chapter 10. Sensory Based Motor Disorder: Dyspraxia
- What is Dyspraxia?
- Behaviors and Symptoms of Dyspraxia
- Principles of Intervention with Dyspraxia
- A SECRET for Dyspraxia
- Additional Strategies for Dyspraxia
Chapter 11. Sensational Strategies for Sensory Processing Disorder, Revealing A SECRET
- A letter for parents
- A letter for teachers
- 2 - A-Interoceptors
- 6 - A Stabilizers
- 7 - A. Functional Fidgets
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I know Ms. Bialer personally. She has worked with my son for a number of years. She is phenominally talented and now her knowledge is shared in this book. Don't hesitate - Order it!