Representing the International Task Force on Abuse, formed under the auspices of the Women's Commission of the World Evangelical Fellowship, Catherine Clark Kroeger and Nancy Nason-Clark have listened to the voices of women from around the world and especially to those within the church. Now they help us hear their cries and find concrete ways to respond so that no home will be a place of abuse.
In this immensely helpful guide you'll find:
true stories and statistics that illustrate the gravity and extent of the domestic violencea look at what Scripture says about domestic violence, including verbal abuse and patterns of concealment, secrecy and silencea discussion of how proper concerns for Christian families can be twisted to endanger women and their childrenan assessment of alternatives to suffering in silence in a threatening environmentpractical tools for pastors and other counselors for interviewing abuse victims and perpetratorsoutlines for sermons, Bible studies and youth group activities that address the problem of domestic violenceNo Place for Abuse is an essential book for pastors, counselors, church leaders, missionaries, evangelists, teachers--indeed, for anyone who wants to make a difference in women's lives.
|Product dimensions:||5.44(w) x 8.25(h) x 0.58(d)|
About the Author
Nancy Nason-Clark is professor of sociology at University of New Brunswick, Canada. Her books include No Place for Abuse, Refuge from Abuse and The Battered Wife: How Christians Confront Family Violence.
Table of ContentsPreface
1. The Prevalence & Severity of Abuse Against Women
2. Beginning to Respond
3. Growing in Compassion
4. Steeple to Shelter: Paving the Pathway
5. Searching the Scriptures
6. Man & Woman: Dimensions of Their Union
7. Does the Suffering of an Abused Woman Bring Salvation to Her Husband? First Peter Revisited
8. A Concern for the Christian Family: The Dangers of Idolization & Idealization
9. Repentance & Forgiveness
10. Cruel Deceptions & Christian Conceptions
11. Good News for & About Abusers
12. The Biblical Option of Divorce
13. Our Global Responsibility Appendix 1: God Speaks Out Against Abuse: Scripture Passages & Principles Appendix 2: Scriptures That Condemn Abuse & Offer Comfort to Victims Appendix 3: Intervention Resources for Pastors Appendix 4: Educational Resources Appendix 5: Bible Studies for Groups Appendix 6: Resources for a Congregation Notes References