This aircraft was to replace the AJ-1/2 and the A3D as a nuclear attack bomber. This twin engine bomber carried the Linear Bomb (nuclear weapon) between the two J78-GE-8. The bomb was dropped/ejected horizontally out the rear of the fuselage. The aircraft was also used as a tanker, a Photo Recon and ECM.
This was the second heaviest aircraft accepted by the Navy the first being the A-3. The first prototype flew August 31,1958 and deliveries started in 1960 to VAH-7.
The new USS Enterprise was the first ship to deploy the A-5.