These notes contain the first complete treatment of cobordism, a topic that has become increasingly important in the past ten years. The subject is fully developed and the latest theories are treated.
Originally published in 1968.
The Princeton Legacy Library uses the latest print-on-demand technology to again make available previously out-of-print books from the distinguished backlist of Princeton University Press. These editions preserve the original texts of these important books while presenting them in durable paperback and hardcover editions. The goal of the Princeton Legacy Library is to vastly increase access to the rich scholarly heritage found in the thousands of books published by Princeton University Press since its founding in 1905.
Table of Contents
- Frontmatter, pg. i
- Preface, pg. iii
- Contents, pg. v
- Chapter I. Introduction - Cobordism Categories, pg. 1
- Chapter II. Manifolds with Structure - The Pontrjagin-Thom Theorem, pg. 14
- Chapter III. Characteristic Classes and Numbers, pg. 27
- Chapter IV. The Interesting Examples-A Survey of the Literature, pg. 40
- Chapter V. Cohomology of Classifying Spaces, pg. 59
- Chapter VII. Complex Cobordism, pg. 110
- Chapter VIII. σ1 - Restricted Cobordism, pg. 147
- Chapter IX. Oriented Cobordism, pg. 176
- Chapter X. Special Unitary Cobordism, pg. 237
- Chapter XI. Spin, Spinc and Similar Nonsense, pg. 283
- Appendix 1. Advanced Calculus, pg. 355
- Appendix 2. Differentiable Manifolds, pg. 379
- Bibliography, pg. 405