Nursing Drug Reference 2005 / Edition 1 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
For current, complete drug information with a focus on safe medication administration, this is the book for you! This indispensable resource, featuring the latest drug information organized alphabetically, is a favorite of students and practitioners. You'll find drug indications, precautions and nursing considerations applicable to all of your patients. Every copy also includes a CD-ROM packed with useful tools, such as patient teaching guides in English and Spanish, a drug-interaction tool and detailed information on herbal products.
- Highlights High Alert drugs to caution nurses to use extra care in administering drugs most likely to cause patient harm.
- Features Research headings to denote drugs currently involved in important research studies.
- Features more than 100 Do Not Crush icons to denote drugs that may not be administered in crushed form.
- Presents more than 1,300 generic drugs (encompassing more than 4,500 trade names) in an alphabetical organization for quick clinical reference.
- Provides extensive nursing considerations in a concise, practice-oriented framework: Assess, Administer, Perform/Provide, Evaluate, and Teach Patient/Family.
- Organizes monographs alphabetically by generic drug name to allow for fast retrieval of needed information.
- Offers lifespan content via coverage of geriatric, pediatric, and pregnancy considerations throughout.
- Highlights common and life-threatening side effects in different typefaces for easy identification, with side effects listed in decreasing order of likelihood.
- Identifies critical nursing considerations with a special Nursing Alert icon to identify considerations that require special attention.
- Features over 400 potential interactions between drugs and herbal products, denoted by an eye-catching icon.
- Nursing Drug Dosage Calculators provide users with quick, portable confirmation of key drug calculations.
- Groups IV drug information under the monograph subheading Administer, with a boldface IV heading ensuring that all of the IV drug administration content is grouped together in one easy-to-find place.
- Includes all drug compatibility information under the Administer monograph subheading to make this crucial information easy to locate.
- Includes a separate section of drug category information that includes nursing considerations and a list of common generic drugs in each category.
- Provides a complete clinical reference by including appendixes of recent FDA drug approvals; ophthalmic, otic, nasal, and topical products; vaccines and toxoids, combination products; less frequently used antihistamines; FDA pregnancy categories; controlled substances; commonly used abbreviations; weights and equivalents; formulas for drug calculations; nomogram for calculation of body surface area; and commonly used antibiotics in adults and children.
- Features a 16-page insert containing a drug identification guide with 160 new full-color photographs of frequently prescribed tablets and capsules, to help nurses identify common drugs and deliver safe, quality patient care; photos are arranged alphabetically by generic name, with common trade names and dosage strengths included. It also has been completely updated to reflect the top 50 prescribed drugs in 2003.
- Lists over 1,700 pairs of look-alike/sound-alike drug names under special Do Not Confuse headings within drug monographs to help nurses avoid administering the wrong drug.
- Provides a Syringe Compatibility Chart inside the front cover and an IV Drug/Solution Compatibility Chart inside the back cover.
- A special Herbal Product icon highlights over 700 potential interactions between drugs and herbal products and an Herbal Products appendix also lists over 75 popular herbal supplements and their uses.
- The Combination Products appendix includes nearly 900 commonly used combination products, their individual components, and their uses.
- Offers a flexible, water-resistant cover that provides durability in the clinical setting.
- Includes a DrugPro mini CD-ROM that contains a comprehensive drug interaction tool, over 200 patient teaching guidelines in English and Spanish, and detailed monographs for more than 30 of the most popular herbal products.
- Includes free Internet updates to provide users with the latest drug alerts, abbreviated new drug monographs, tables of recently released U.S. and Canadian drugs, links to useful drug-related websites, an extensive table of orphan drugs, a detailed table of AHA drug dosing guidelines based on the 2000 AHA standards, and a comprehensive drug safety reference.
- Contains approximately 20 new monographs for drugs recently approved by the FDA to provide the very latest drug information plus a table of newly approved drugs with generic names, trade names, and uses.
- Presents more than 2,000 new drug facts, including patient/family teaching guidelines as well as updated drug interactions, side effects, precautions, contraindications, and IV therapy facts.
- Features new "Tall man" spellings for easily confused drug names in accordance with the latest FDA recommendations.
- A Look-alike/sound-alike Drug Names appendix has been updated and expanded to include nearly 1,200 pairs of drug names that may be easily confused.
- An updated functional, two-color design highlights all monograph subheadings, while alphabetical organization and A-to-Z thumb tabs allow instant retrieval of essential information.