Established in 1934, the Ilyushin design bureau is one of the best-known Soviet/Russian aircraft design companies. Over the years, the Ilyushin OKB has developed aircraft for widely varying roles. Its first aircraft to achieve production status, the DB-3 bomber, entered service in 1936. The IL-2 (Shturmovik) armored attack aircraft brought Ilyushin well-earned fame; this aircraft fought with considerable success during World War II. The OKB's involvement with combat aircraft continued with the experimental IL-22 four-jet counterpart of the English Electric Canberra. However, it was those years that marked the OKB's transition to transport aircraft from the twin-engined IL-12 of 1945 developed as a 'DC-3 replacement', followed by many successful aircraft, including the four-turboprop IL-18 airliner (1957), the four-turbofan long-half IL-62 (1961), the IL-76 military/civil freighter (1971) and the first Soviet wide-body airliner, the IL-86 of 1976. The company has also moved into general aviation with the IL-103 four-seater.