Optical Components for Communications is an incomparable book that provides the reader with an understanding of a highly technical subject in a way that is both academically sound and easy to read. Readers with a fundamental understanding of physics from an undergraduate degree will find Dr. Lin's explanation of the principles of quantum physics and optics in this book easy to grasp. This book is also exceptional in its ability to span a subject from the very abstract, fundamental principles of operations to the very specific real world applications of the technology.
|Edition description:||Softcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 2004|
|Product dimensions:||6.10(w) x 9.25(h) x 0.24(d)|
Table of Contents-Preface.
- 1: Introduction to Optical Communication. 1. Introduction. 2. Emergence of Modern Optical-Fiber Communication. 3. Fundamentals of Light. 4. Interaction of Light with Matter. 5. Basic Properties of Transparent Materials. 6. Optical Fiber and Light Guiding. 7. Modern Optical-Fiber Communication System.
2: Transmitters (I) - Light Sources. 1. Introduction. 2. Principle of Light Emission. 3. Principle of Lasers. 4. Light Emitting Diodes and Semiconductor Lasers. 5. Semiconductor Lasers for Optical Communication.
- 3: Transmitters (II) - Modulators. 1. Introduction. 2. Direct Modulation of Laser Diodes. 3. External Modulation. 4. Short-Pulse Techniques.
- 4: Optical Amplifiers. 1. Introduction. 2. Principle of Optical Amplifiers. 3. Erbium-Doped Fiber Amplifier (EDFA). 4. Semiconductor Optical Amplifier (SOA). 5. Raman Amplifier.
- 5: Photodetectors and Detection of Optical Radiation. 1. Introduction. 2. Photodetectors. 3. Noise Involved in the Detection of Optical Radiation.
- 6: Principles of Optics for Passive Components. 1. Introduction. 2. Fabry-Perot Resonance due to Parallel Interfaces. 3. Transmission and Reflection from Multi-Layer Coatings. 4. Diffraction Grating. 5. Waveguide Coupling. 6. Mach-Zehnder Interference. 7. Birefringence. 8. Optical Activity.
- 7: Passive Components (I). 1. Introduction. 2.Combiner/Splitter. 3. Fixed and Tunable Filters. 4. Isolator. 5. Circulator. 6. Attenuator.
- 8: Passive Components (II). 1. Introduction. 2. Wavelength Division Multiplexer/Demultiplexer (WDM). 3. Optical Add/Drop Multiplexer/Demultiplexer (OADM). 4. Optical Switch, Optical Crossconnect and Wavelength Router. 5. Wavelength Converter.