Organization Theory: Modern, Symbolic, and Postmodern Perspectives / Edition 4 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Oxford University Press
Organization Theory offers a clear and comprehensive introduction to the study of organizations and organizing processes. Through the unique three-perspective approach, students are challenged to explain, explore, and evaluate organizational theory, drawing on their own experiences as well as the book's diverse practical examples.
The fourth edition includes a host of new learning features, which examine the practicality of theorizing and encourage students to broaden their intellectual reach. "Theory to Practice" boxes and case studies highlight organizing processes in a range of settings, either through real-life business examples or through exercises that encourage students to apply the theory within their own environment. "Think like a Theorist" and "Exercise Those Perspectives" boxes then encourage students to actively theorize and evaluate, developing essential critical thinking skills and a greater understanding of the complex knowledge produced by organization theorists. By taking theory off the page, students can learn through doing and adopt a reflective stance to the world around them.
Mary Jo Hatch draws on her extensive experience in the field to produce a trusted and accessible introduction to the subject that provides academic depth, engaging pedagogy, and a practical focus.
*Figures and tables from the book
*Additional case studies
|Publisher:||Oxford University Press|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||9.60(w) x 7.40(h) x 0.90(d)|
About the Author
Mary Jo Hatch is the C. Coleman McGehee Eminent Scholars Research Professor of Banking and Commerce, Emerita, at the McIntire School of Commerce, University of Virginia. Her research has been published in the Harvard Business Review, California Management Review, Academy of Management Review, European Journal of Marketing, Human Relations, and Strategic Organization.
Table of Contents
PART ONE: WHAT IS ORGANIZATION THEORY?
1. Organization Theory and its Multiple Perspectives
2. A Brief History of Organization Theory
PART TWO: CORE CONCEPTS AND THEORIES
3. Organization-Environment Relations
4. Organizational Social Structure
5. Organizational Technology
6. Organizational Culture
7. The Physical Structure of Built Space in Organizations
PART THREE: THEMES AND APPLICATIONS
8. Power in and Around Organizations: Organizational Politics, Conflict, and Control
9. Organizational Identity at Carlsberg Group
Part One: What is Organization Theory?
1. Organization theory and its multiple perspectives
2. A brief history of organization theory
Part Two: Core Concepts and Theories
3. Organization-environment relations
4. Organizational social structure
5. Organizational technology
6. Organizational culture
7. The physical structure of built space in organizations
Part Three: Themes and Applications
8. Power in and around organizations: Organizational politics, conflict, and control
9. Organizational identity at Carlsberg Group