(The updated edition of this book for macOS Sierra is also available.)
Perfect for new and longtime Mac users, this no-fluff guide to OS X Mavericks is packed with details on system preferences, the desktop, built-in applications, and utilities. You'll also find step-by-step instructions for printing, scanning, networking, sharing, troubleshooting, and going online. A Windows glossary makes switching to Mac (mostly) painless, and keyboard mavens will find a complete list of keyboard shortcuts.
New features covered include Finder tabs, tags, multiple displays, iBooks, Maps, iCloud Keychain, Notification Center improvements, and updates to Calendar, Contacts, Notes, and Preferences.
- See live previews of documents, pictures, and folders.
- Use Mission Control to juggle all your open windows, desktops, and displays.
- Dock programs, documents, and folders for one-click access.
- Tag your files to make them easy to sort and find.
- Use Finder tabs to declutter your desktop.
- See all your notifications in one place.
- Spread your work over multiple displays.
- Use iCloud to store and access the latest versions of your files and settings online.
- Sync your documents, mail, contacts, appointments, reminders, notes, and messages wirelessly across your Macs and iOS devices.
- Get instant search results for documents, pictures, music, mail, programs, and more.
- Dictate anywhere that you can type.
- Play games on Game Center, Apple's online multiplayer social gaming network.
- Post to Facebook and Twitter right from the app you're using.
- Mirror your Mac's screen to your HDTV wirelessly via AirPlay, or use your HDTV as a full-fledged display, complete with dock and menu bar.
- Share files and printers on your home network.
- Connect to wireless networks with a couple of clicks.
- Set up and manage printers, scanners, and other devices.
- Download and install OS X, apps, and updates from the Mac App Store.
- Secure your data from thieves and snoops.
- Plenty of tips, tricks, and timesavers.
- Fully cross-referenced, linked, and searchable.
1. OS X Basics
2. The Desktop
3. System Preferences
4. Files, Folders & Drives
5. Programs & Documents
6. Printing, Faxing & Fonts
7. Networks & Sharing
8. Online Connections
9. Security & Privacy
10. Maintenance & Backups
11. Switching from Windows
12. Keyboard Shortcuts
|Publisher:||Questing Vole Press|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||3 MB|
About the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Stares at her. Fine. Ill try to find someone else. He sadly walks away
"So you're leaving?"<br>Smokeshade nodded. "I honestly don't want to, but...you know..."<br>Burnedshard was surprised by her own disappointment. Finally out of the medicine den, she was glad for the freedom, but somehow Smokeshade's leaving made her feel incredibly lonely. "Well, I'll see you at the next Gathering, then."<br>Smokeshade nodded. "See you." And with that, a small patrol led him out of camp. Burnedshard sighed and looked around. Shadestream was sitting alone, so Burnedshard went over to talk to her.<br>"Now why the sad face?" asked Shadestream almost immediately.<br>Burnedshard didn't look at her. "I'm not sad...just a little...tired or something."<br>"Tired? After all those days in the medicine den?" her friend teased. "Well, you were all alone with Smokeshade...I suppose I can understand..."<br>Burnedshard batted her friend's ear, feeling her pelt burn. "Oh, shush! Nothing happened, you weirdo!" Both she-cats laughed, but then Shadestream grew serious.<br>"Really, though...why are you so down?"<br>With a sigh, Burnedshard answered, "I honestly don't know. I thought I'd gotten over Shardflight leaving, but I guess after talking to Smokeshade, I just feel like I'm watching Shardflight go all over again."<br>Shadestream nodded in understanding, but before she could speak the patrol that had just left ran back in, with Smokeshade, and an unconscious she-cat. As they headed toward the medicine den, Burnedshard couldn't help but follow and see who this cat was.<br>As they cleaned up the blood, the white fur underneath was exposed, startling Burnedshard a bit. But the she-cat opened her yellow eyes, and Burnedshard relaxed somewhat.<br>"Blood..." the she-cat murmured. "So much blood..." Then she yowled and started thrashing, the warriors struggling to hold her down without hurting her as she screamed about blood.<br>Burnedshard, more than a little scared, backed out of the den...into Smokeshade. "Oh! Sorry, I, um...didn't see you there."<br>"I thought the Gathering wasn't for half a moon," he said, although there was no humor in his expression.<br>Burnedshard looked in the medicine den, listening to the terrified screams. "What happened to her?"<br>"Don't know. Your guys were taking me back to BirchClan when she just sort of stumbled across the path. She looked at us and, StarClan, her eyes were scary. Looked like all the Dark Forest was after her. Then she just fainted, so we took her back here. It was actually...really frightening."<br>The warriors had finally managed to calm the she-cat down, though her dark gray tail lashed furiously. "What's happening...?" Burnedshard mumbled.<br>Smokeshade gave her a confused look. "Huh?"<br>"I...I have the feeling..." She looked up at Smokeshade. "Something's going to happen, I know it. I feel it. But I don't know what..."<br>The BirchClan warrior shook his head. "That's a badger...but hey, at least we know it's probably something bad."<p>I ended here to leave room to say a few things. First, I'm sorry; I literally forgot I was writing this. Second, while I'll take character applications, I can only take so many, and then I have to figure out how to fit them in. Third, and sort of expanding on the second thing, Silver, I need to know a little more about Winter. Like her history or how you want her to be portrayed. And fourth, WOW the results got mixed up. Aaand I'm out of characters.