That began to change after the Civil War, when the government made the shipping lanes off the Outer Banks less hazardous by constructing lifesaving stations and a new generation of lighthouses. Around that same time, wealthy Northerners began buying Outer Banks property to create exclusive hunt clubs, and the affluent citizens of North Carolina's upper Albemarle started building cottages at Old Nags Head. The late 1940s saw the beginning of another vernacular style -- the famous Flat Top cottages of Southern Shores.
The facts, anecdotes, and photos in Outer Banks Architecture form an anthology of the area's most notable structures. These range from the simple (like the Outlaw Cottage at Old Nags Head) to the spectacular (like the Whalehead Club in Corolla). If you've never seen Frank Stick's original Flat Top, the Chicamacomico Lifesaving Station (where two restored stations of different eras stand on the same site), or the Currituck Shooting Club (the oldest hunt club in North America), this book will help you peel back today's development and discover the Banks as they were in days past.
|Publisher:||John F Blair, Publisher|
|Product dimensions:||8.01(w) x 8.99(h) x 0.34(d)|
Read an Excerpt
Phase I of Southern Shores opened in 1946 with fifty oceanfront building sites offered in pairs for $2,000. No lots sold that first year. The success of Millionaire's Row had taught Frank Stick that improved building sites sold more quickly than vacant lots, but lumber and other traditional building supplies were still reserved for government use. This stalled the construction of new homes. Desperate to show some profit, Stick decided to build himself a house. In the process, he created a new vernacular architectural formThe Flat Top. . . .
Stick lured Hatteras Islander, Curtis Grey to move to Kitty Hawk. Together they set up a factory in Kitty Hawk Village that manufactured 42-pound bricks from sand mined from local beaches. These cement blocks were the principal material used to construct Flat Top cottages until the mid-1950s when the North Carolina legislature banned the use of beach gravel for manufacturing concrete. . . .
Three of the first five Flat Tops, built between 1947-48, have survived. They are Frank Stick's own home, the Taylor-Covington house, and Grandmother Graves' cottage.
Table of Contents
|Light Keepers' Dwellings and Lifesaving Stations||1|
|Light Keepers' Dwellings||7|
|Ocracoke Light Station||9|
|Cape Hatteras Light Station||9|
|Bodie Island Light Station||13|
|Currituck Beach Light Station||17|
|The United States Lifesaving Service in North Carolina||22|
|Portsmouth Island Lifesaving Station||26|
|Little Kinnakeet Lifesaving Station||29|
|Chicamacomico Lifesaving Station||32|
|Hunt Clubs from Currituck to Carteret||37|
|Birds of a Feather: The Currituck Shooting Club||42|
|Once upon Corolla Island: The Whalehead Club||48|
|Pine Island Audubon Sanctuary: The Pine Island Club||55|
|Old Nags Head and Southern Shores||63|
|Old Nags Head: Beach Cottage Row||67|
|The Outlaw Cottage||70|
|The Winston Cottage||73|
|The Whedbee Cottage||74|
|Frank Stick and the Southern Shores Flat Top||77|
|The First Southern Shores Flat Top: The Stick-Miller Home||85|
|"Portsmouth Tide": The Graves Cottage||86|
|"Craving Nostalgia": The Taylor-Smith-Covington Cottage||89|
|"Barefoot Elegance": The Smith-Millican-Garrett Home||92|
|"The Pink House": The Roth Cottage||95|
|"Pink Perfection": The Pipkin Cottage||97|
|Appendix||The Lifesaving Stations: Where Are They Now?||100|