For a growing number of over-the-road drivers, businesstravelers, and RV enthusiasts, the answer is a wireless Internetconnection. With a laptop and wireless access, you can
- Pay bills, check accounts, and handle banking online
- Send and receive e-mail
- Surf the Web
- Access your home PC
- Make inexpensive phone calls with VoIP
- Watch TV, download movies, and listen to satellite radio
"So," you say, "I see people in movies popping open theirlaptops and getting online wherever they happen to be. It looksawfully easy—why do I need a book?" Well, lots of things areeasy once you know how. Over-the-Road Wireless For Dummiestells you how in plain English, so you can take advantage of allthose cool opportunities safely and easily. You'll discover howto
- Choose the best Wi-Fi access service for your needs and locatehotspots
- Assess cellular data services and satellite access to makeinformed choices about service
- Adapt your laptop or PDA for wireless, set up an externalantenna, and install an external amplifier
- Use your cell phone as a modem
- Identify security threats, protect your data with strongpasswords and encryption, and set up a personal firewall
- Install and use Skype and make phone calls with yourlaptop
- Make your truck or RV your office with online freight-findingservices, a GPS receiver, a travel printer, and software to keeplogs and expense records
- Access streaming TV and radio on the road
With Over-the-Road Wireless For Dummies to help, you cansend online birthday cards, watch video of the grandchildren, doyour banking, pay bills, keep records, connect to your home PC, andeven file your taxes, no matter how far away you roam!
About the Author
Table of ContentsIntroduction.
Part I: The Wonderful World of Wireless Fidelity.
Chapter 1: Taking the Wi-Fi Highway.
Chapter 2: Selecting a Standard.
Chapter 3: Gearing Up.
Chapter 4: Putting Your Gear Together.
Part II: Surfing the Net Unplugged.
Chapter 5: Spotting Hotspots.
Chapter 6: Using Truck– and RV–FriendlyHotspots.
Part III: Bridging the Wireless Gap.
Chapter 7: Cellular Data Services: Can You Connect Me Now?
Chapter 8: Reattaching the Wired Tether.
Chapter 9: Sky-High Wi-Fi.
Part IV: Securing Your Information.
Chapter 10: Taking Common–Sense Steps to Security.
Chapter 11: Encrypting Data.
Chapter 12: Accessing Your Home PC Remotely.
Part V: Taking Care of Business.
Chapter 13: Talking Cheap with VoIP.
Chapter 14: Managing the Over-the-Road Office.
Part VI: Entertaining Electronics.
Chapter 15: Extra-Terrestrial Radio.
Chapter 16: Taking the Show on the Road.
Part VII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 17: Ten Must–Have Travel Accessories.
Chapter 18: Ten Fantastic Free Applications.