Alcohol use can have negative effects on your day-to-day functioning, health, and relationships. If drinking is a problem in your life, this program can help you regain control. It has been developed with the benefit of each author's 25+ years of clinical experience in treating substance abusers and has been proven effective in helping individuals to achieve and maintain abstinence. Over the course of 12 weeks, you will meet with a qualified mental health or addictions professional to learn various skills and strategies for quitting drinking and staying sober. Together, you will come up with an abstinence plan that fits your needs.
The program involves self-recording to help you identify your drinking patterns and triggers. You will plan for managing high-risk situations, including interactions with other drinkers in your social network. Urges to drink are to be expected and you will learn ways to deal with them. Focusing on the negative consequences of drinking will help motivate you to stop. As you experience the rewards of sobriety and find positive alternatives to drinking, remaining abstinent will become easier. You will also learn useful techniques for managing negative emotions and challenging alcohol-related thoughts. Other areas you may work on in this program include how to cope with anxiety and depression, build social support, be assertive, manage anger, and problem solve. Before ending treatment, you will need to make a plan for maintaining your gains and prepare for handling slips and relapses.
It is important that you be an active participant in your treatment. You can use this workbook to follow along with the information presented by your therapist and to do exercises in session. Each chapter provides instructions and forms for compelling assignments. With your efforts in this program and committment to abstinence, you can overcome your alcohol problems.
TreatmentsThatWorkTM represents the gold standard of behavioral healthcare interventions!
· All programs have been rigorously tested in clinical trials and are backed by years of research
· A prestigious scientific advisory board, led by series Editor-In-Chief David H. Barlow, reviews and evaluates each intervention to ensure that it meets the highest standard of evidence so you can be confident that you are using the most effective treatment available to date
· Our books are reliable and effective and make it easy for you to provide your clients with the best care available
· Our corresponding workbooks contain psychoeducational information, forms and worksheets, and homework assignments to keep clients engaged and motivated
· A companion website (www.oup.com/us/ttw) offers downloadable clinical tools and helpful resources
· Continuing Education (CE) Credits are now available on select titles in collaboration with PsychoEducational Resources, Inc. (PER)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews