Foreword: Jay N. Cohn .
Introduction: Marrick L. Kukin.
Abbreviations Used in This Book.
I. Current Concepts in Heart Failure.
1. Natural History of Heart Failure.
W.H. Wilson Tang and Gary S. Francis.
2. Pathophysiology of Chronic Heart Failure.
Tatiana Tsvetkova and Michael R. Bristow.
II. Pathophysiology, Clinical, and Laboratory Evidence of Oxidative Stress in Heart Failure.
3. Chemistry of Free Radicals in Biological Systems.
Jay L. Zweier and Frederick A. Villamena.
4. Evidence of Oxidative Stress in Heart Failure.
Kenneth Y.K. Wong, Allan D. Struthers, and Jill J.F. Belch.
5. Animal Models: Apoptosis and Oxidative Stress.
Hani N. Sabbah and Elaine J. Tanhehco.
6. Oxygen Free Radicals, Iron, and Cytokines in Heart Failure: From Bench to Bedside.
Mona Shawky, Neelam Khaper, and Peter Liu.
7. Adrenergic and Mechanical Regulation of Oxidative Stress in the Myocardium.
Deborah A. Siwik, David R. Pimentel, Lei Xiao, Krisha Singh, Douglas B. Sawyer, and Wilson S. Colucci.
III. Therapeutic Pathways and Modulation of Oxidative Stress.
8. Beta-Blockers and Oxidative Stress.
Marrick L. Kukin.
9. Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitors and Oxidative Stress.
Balkrishna Singh and William T. Abraham.
10. Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers and Oxidative Stress.
Colin Berry and John McMurray.
11. Microvasculature and Oxidative Stress, With Special Emphasis on the Acute Coronary Syndromes.
Mardi Gomberg-Maitland and Valentin Fuster.
12. The Role of Reactive Oxygen Species in the Pathogenesis of Endothelial Dysfunction in Patients with Chronic Heart Failure.
Haoyi Zheng, Henry Krum, and Stuart D. Katz.
13. Antioxidant Vitamins and Apoptosis.
Fuzhong Qin and Chang-seng Liang.