Palliative and End-of-Life Care, 2nd Edition provides clinicians with the guidelines and tools necessary to provide quality, evidenced-based care to patients with life-limiting illness. This text describes the care and management of patients with advanced disease throughout the disease trajectory, extending from diagnosis of advanced disease until death. Four units provide the general principles of palliative and end-of-life care, important concepts, advanced disease management, and clinical practice guidelines. Clinical practice guidelines offer in-depth discussions of the pathophysiology of 19 different symptoms, interventions for specific symptom management (including in-depth rationales), and suggestions for patient and family teaching.
• Defines dying as a normal, healthy process aided by the support of an interdisciplinary team.
• Provides in-depth pathophysiology, assessment, and intervention information based upon the disease trajectory.
• Highlights opportunities for patient and family teaching.
• Describes psychosocial issues experienced by patients and their families.
• Reviews uncomplicated and complicated grief and mourning, providing suggestions to help the family after a patient's death.
• Includes case studies at the end of chapters to reinforce key concepts of compassionate care.
• New chapters including Advance Care Planning, Ethical Issues, Spiritual Care Across Cultures, Pharmacology, Sleep, and Nutrition.
• Includes a new appendix on Assessment Tools and Resources for more comprehensive coverage of palliative and end-of-life care.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Product dimensions:||1.20(w) x 6.00(h) x 9.00(d)|
Table of Contents
General Principles in Palliative and End-of-Life Care
1. The Advanced Practice Nurse in Palliative Care
2. Palliative and End-of-Life Care
3. The Dying Process
Important Concepts in Palliative and End-of-Life Care
4. Advance Care Planning and End-of-Life Decision Making
5. Ethical Issues Surrounding Advanced Disease
6. Spiritual Care Across Cultures
Advanced Disease Management
10. Cardiovascular Disease
11. Pulmonary Disease
12. Hepatic Disease
13. Chronic Kidney Disease
14. Neurological Disease
Clinical Practice Guidelines
19. Bowel Obstruction
20. Cachexia and Anorexia
24. Delirium/Acute Confusion
31. Nausea and Vomiting
33. Palliative Care Emergencies
35. Ulcerative Lesions
36. Caregiver Resources
37. Assessment Tools
Most Helpful Customer Reviews