The author draws from 20 years of hands-on experience installing, maintaining and troubleshooting microcomputers. In this book, he outlines a simple 10-step program "complete with screen shots" you can follow to:
• Scan and remove viruses from your hard drive.
• Use disk cleanup to remove unwanted files from your hard drive.
• Clean out temporary Internet files and offline files in Internet Explorer for faster Internet startup.
• Use spyware software to find and remove spyware programs.
• Use disk defragmenter to reorganize your file structure on the hard drive.
• Update Windows XP with the latest security updates from Microsoft.
• Check Windows XP startup list for unnecessary startup programs.
• Remove unnecessary desktop icons you haven't used recently.
• Activate Windows XP firewall to keep computer hackers from accessing your computer.
• Turn system restore back on to recover from computer problems.