No other textbook provides coverage of the essential concepts of disease processes and disorders with the specific needs of the physical therapy assistant in mind. Pathology for the Physical Therapist Assistant provides coverage of disease processes and systemic disorders as well as guidelines, precautions, and contraindications for physical therapy interventions. Catherine Goodman, Kenda Fuller, and Robbie O’Shea share their expertise in a consistent, well-organized approach that defines each disorder, describes the appropriate physical therapy assessment and intervention, and rounds out the discussion with relevant case study examples based on established practice patterns.
• Chapters follow a consistent organization, first defining a disorder and then describing the appropriate physical therapy assessment and intervention.
• Full-color art throughout clearly depicts pathologies and interventions.
• Case studies provide examples of physical therapy applications to help you connect theory and practice and build strong clinical reasoning skills.
• Special boxes highlight Clinical Signs, Interventions, and Case Studies to alert you to important information within the text.
• Terminology and language from the Guide to Physical Therapy Practice is used throughout to familiarize you with standardized terminology used in practice.
• A companion Evolve website provides additional online learning activities including online chapters, references linked to Medline, case studies, and self-test questions.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.50(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.40(d)|
Table of Contents
SECTION I: INTRODUCTION 1Introduction to Concepts of Pathology 2Problems Affecting Multiple Systems 3Injury, Inflammation and Healing
SECTION II: CLINICAL MEDICINE 4The Immune System 5Infectious disease 6Oncology 7The Integumentary System 8The Endocrine and Metabolic Systems 9The Cardiovascular System 10The Hematologic System 11 The Respiratory System 12The Gastrointestinal System 13 The Hepatic, Pancreatic, and Biliary Systems 14The Renal and Urologic Systems
SECTION III: PATHOLOGY OF THE MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM 15Introduction to Pathology of the Musculoskeletal System & Metabolic Disorders 16Genetic and Developmental Disorders 17 Infectious Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System 18 Musculoskeletal Neoplasms 19 Soft Tissue, Joint and Bone Disorders and Metabolic disorders
SECTION IV: PATHOLOGY OF THE NERVOUS SYSTEM 20Introduction to Central Nervous System Disorders 21Infectious Disorders of the Central Nervous System 22Central Nervous System Neoplasms 23Degenerative Diseases of the Central Nervous System 24Stroke 25Traumatic Brain Injury 26Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury 27Cerebral Palsy 28Epilepsy 29Headache 30The Peripheral Nervous System ONLINE ONLY chapters: E1Behavioral, Social, and Environmental Factors Contributing to Disease and Dysfunction E2The Psychosocial-Spiritual Impact on Health Care E3Environmental and Occupational Medicine E4The Male Genital/Reproductive System E5The Female Genital/Reproductive System E6Vestibular Disorders E7 Laboratory Tests and Values Appendix A: Summary of Standard Precautions Appendix B: Guidelines for Activity and Exercise