Now in its third edition, this "benchside" reference provides you with a structured diagnostic approach to the features of the placenta most commonly encountered in the investigation of adverse fetal outcomes. Inside, you'll find detailed disussions on cytogenetics and molecular biology as well as the latest developments in coagulopathy, infections, chorioamnionitis, preeclampsia, trophoblastic disease, and twin pregnancies among others. Plus, a new format facilitates information retrieval and new color clinical and pathologic images help you recognize and disagnose lesions better than ever.
- Access the most authoritative and effective diagnostic help with step-by-step guidance on placental examination techniques.
- Get the clinical information you need without superfluous details.
- Create better reports or prepare for exams with comprehensive coverage of all benign and malignant disorders of placental abnormalities.
- Increase your diagnostic acumen with new and expanded topics such as apoptosis in the normal and pathological placenta, pathogenesis of miscarrage, placental infections (especially malaria and HIV), chorioanmionitis with special reference to its role in cerebral palsy, preeclampsia, gestational trophoblastic disease, medico-legal aspects of the placenta, and much more.
- Perform a complete diagnostic workup with detailed coverage of molecular biology, immunohistochemisrty, and cytogenetics.
- Diagnose confidently with the addition of full-color images throughout.
- Find the the information you need quickly thanks to a new user-friendly format, including bullet points,summary tables, and take-home messages.
About the Author
Emeritus Professor of Reproductive Pathology, Department of Pathological Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Consultant Pathologist, Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital, London, UK
Table of Contents
The Development of the Placenta
Physiology of the Placenta
Abnormalities of Placentation
The Placenta in Multiple Pregnancy
Macroscopic Abnormalities of the Placenta
Histological Abnormalities of the Placenta
The Placenta in Pregnancies of Abnormal Duration
The Placenta in Maternal Disorders
The Placenta in Abnormalities and Disorders of the Fetus
The Placenta in Abortion
Infections and Inflammatory Lesions of the Placenta
Immunopathology of the Placenta
Non-Trophoblastic Tumours of the Placenta
Gestational Trophoblastic Disease
Pathology of the Umbilical Cord
Pathology of the Membranes
Pathological Examination of the Placenta
Medico-Legal Aspects of Placental Pathology