PeriAnesthesia Nursing: A Critical Care Approach / Edition 5 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
As the touchstone for practicing perianesthesia nurses for 25 years, PeriAnesthesia Nursing: A Critical Care Approach, 5th Edition is the only book on the market that provides comprehensive clinical content specifically tailored to perianesthesia nurses. The book integrates nursing and pharmacologic interventions with detailed pathophysiology. Focusing on research, documentation, and psychosocial considerations, PeriAnesthesia Nursing: A Critical Care Approach is your complete resource for preparation for ASPAN certification and clinical practice.
• Includes the latest important information on the current policies and issues in the perianesthesia nursing field, including bioterrorism, managed care implications, and legal and ethical issues.
• Nursing and pharmacologic interventions integrated with in-depth coverage of pathophysiology provide a more comprehensive look at disease and treatment.
• Detailed discussions of the many types of anesthetic agents, including regional anesthesia agents, cover the physiology of action and the appropriate nursing interventions to be anticipated in the PACU keep you fully prepared for any situation.
• Coverage of special considerations for patients with conditions such as malignant hyperthermia, substance abuse, sickle cell anemia, and cardiac arrest help you provide better care for patients with these conditions.
• Editor of the Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing and author of Practical Guide to Moderate Sedation/Analgesia, Jan Odom-Forren teams with Cecil B. Drain to provide an even deeper look into perianesthesia nursing.
• Five distinct and comprehensive sections concept overview, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, nursing care, and special considerations make this text 5 books in 1.
• Four new chapters on Infection Control in the PACU, Research, Postanesthesia Care Complications, and Care for the Intensive Care Patient in the PACU cover the latest hot topics in perianesthesia nursing.
• Expanded chapters now cover patient safety using simulations, blood component therapy, guidelines for patient education and discharge planning, and continuous epidurals for even more information on topics you need to know.
• Over 100 illustrations and vibrant two-color design portray key perianesthesia techniques and principles, plus relevant anatomy and physiology.
• Each chapter now includes a chapter overview, glossary of key terms with definitions, a chapter summary, and a references/bibliography section.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.40(w) x 10.50(h) x 1.40(d)|
Table of Contents
Section I: The Post Anesthesia Care Unit
1. Space Planning and Basic Equipment Systems
2. Perianesthesia Nursing as a Specialty
3. Management and Policies
4. Patient Safety in PACU: Managing Crises
5. Infection Control in the PACU
6. Managed Care and its Impact on the PACU
7. Legal Issues in the PACU
8. Ethics of Health Care in the PACU
9. Research: Evidence Based Clinical Practice
Section II: Physiological Considerations in the PACU
10. The Nervous System
11. The Cardiovascular System
12. The Respiratory System
13. The Renal System
14. Fluids and Electrolytes and Blood Component Therapy
15. The Endocrine System
16. The Hepatobiliary and Gastrointestinal System
17. The Integumentary System
18. The Immune System
Section III: Concepts in Anesthetic Agents
19. Basic Principles of Pharmacology
20. Inhalation Anesthesia
21. Nonopioid Intravenous Anesthetics
22. Opioid Intravenous Anesthetics
23. Neuromuscular Blocking Agents
24. Local Anesthetics
25. Regional Anesthesia
Section IV: Nursing Care in the PACU
26. Transition from the Operating Room to the PACU
27. Assessment and Monitoring of the Perianesthesia Patient
28. Patient Education and Care of the Perianesthesia Patient
29. Postanesthesia Care Complications
30. Assessment and Management of the Airway
31. Assessment and management in the PACU
32. Perianesthesia Care of the Ear, Nose, Throat, Neck, and Maxillofacial Surgical Patient
33. Perianesthesia Care of the Ophthalmic Surgical Patient
34. Perianesthesia Care of the Thoracic Surgical Patient
35. Perianesthesia Care of the Cardiac Surgical Patient
36. Perianesthesia Care of the Vascular Surgical Patient
37. Perianesthesia Care of the Orthopedic Surgical Patient
38. Perianesthesia Care of the Neurosurgical Patient
39. Perianesthesia Care of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgical Patient
40. Perianesthesia Care of the Gastrointestinal, Abdominal, and Anorectal Surgical Patient
41. Perianesthesia Care of the Genitourinary Surgical Patient
42. Perianesthesia Care of the Obstetric and Gynecological Surgical Patient
43. Perianesthesia Care of the Breast Surgical Patient
44. Perianesthesia Care of the Plastic Surgical Patient
45. Perianesthesia Care of the Thermally Injured Patient
46. Perianesthesia Care of the Ambulatory Surgical Patient
47. Perianesthesia Care and the Laser/Laparoscopic Surgical Patient
Section V: Special Considerations
48. Perianesthesia Care of the Patient with Chronic Disorders
49. Perianesthesia Care of the Pediatric Patient
50. Perianesthesia Care of the Geriatric Patient
51. Perianesthesia Care of the Pregnant Patient
52. Perianesthesia Care of the Substance Using Patient
53. Perianesthesia Care of the Patient with Thermal Imbalance
54. Perianesthesia Care of the Shock Trauma Patient
55. Bioterrorism and its Impact on the PACU
56. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in the PACU