- Focuses on what anesthesiologists, surgeons, and intensivists need to know in order to improve outcomes through evidence- and outcome-based approaches.
- Provides practical guidance on potential risks to all major organ systems, the etiology of particular organ dysfunctions, preoperative and intraoperative risk factors, and perioperative protection strategies to minimize potential complications.
- Features a consistent chapter format - with even more color-coded algorithms, summary tables, and boxes – that enables you to quickly explore and determine the best management approaches.
- Includes six all-new chapters: Perioperative Fluid Management; Delirium and POCD; Role of Palliative Care/ICU; Value-Based Care: The UK Model; CFO Perspective on Value; Hospital to Home (Perioperative Transitions of Care)
- Discusses timely topics such as quality improvement, pay-for-performance, preexisting disease and comorbid conditions in anesthesiology, and the team-based model of care.
- Features two new editors, surgeon Clifford Ko, MD, and Perioperative Summit leader, Michael (Monty) Mythen, MD.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
Related collections and offers
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||2nd ed.|
|Product dimensions:||8.75(w) x 11.06(h) x 0.00(d)|
Table of ContentsPART I: INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND 01. Implications of Perioperative Morbidity on Long-Term Outcomes, Lee A. Fleisher and Mark F. Newman 02. Ischemia and Ischemia-Reperfusion-Induced Organ Injury (Pathology), Mitchell P. Fink Henrik 03. The Inflammatory Response in Organ Injury, Benjamin Kohl and Clifford S. Deutschman 04. The Coagulation Cascade in Perioperative Organ Injury, M. S. Carraway and Claude Piantidosi
05. Analgesia, Fleisher
06. Fluid Management, Monty
PART II: PREOPERATIVE ASSESSMENT 07. The Value of Preoperative Assessment, Stanlkey H. Rosenbaum and David G. Silverman 08. Cardiac Risk Assessment in Noncardiac Surgery, Edward Kwon, Lee A. Fleisher, and Kim Eagle 09. Cardiovascular Risk Assessment in Cardiac Surgery, Robert G. Johnson 10. Central Nervous System Risk Assessment, Katja Hindler and Nancy Nussmeier 11. Renal Risk Assessment, Christina Mora-Mangano,Charles C. Hill, and John L. Chow 12. Pulmonary Risk Assessment, Maurizio Cereda 13. Hematologic Risk Assessment, Carlos Marcucci, Pierre-Guy Chassot, Lars M. Asmis, and Donat R. Spahn PART III: PRESERVATION OF ORGAN FUNCTION AND PREVENTION AND MANAGEMENT OF PERIOPERATIVE ORGAN DYSFUNCTION CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM 14. Prevention of Ischemic Injury in Cardiac Surgery, Matthew Agnew, Christopher Salerno, and Edward D. Verrier 15. Prevention of Ischemic Injury in Noncardiac Surgery, Don Poldermans 16. Treatment of Perioperative Ischemia, Infarction, and Ventricular Failure in Cardiac Surgery, Brian Lima and Carmelo A. Milano 17. Perioperative Management of Valvular Heart Disease, Igor Izrailtyan and Joseph P. Mathew 18. Prevention and Management of Perioperative Dysrhythmias, Martin Slodzinski RENAL SYSTEM 19. Preservation of Renal Function, Mark Stafford-Smith 20. Treatment of Acute Oliguria, John A. Kellum 21. Perioperative Management of the Patient with Renal Failure, Per-Olof Jarnberg PULMONARY SYSTEM 22. Prevention and Treatment of Pulmonary Dysfunction, Christine A. Doyle, and Ronald G. Pearl CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM 23. Carotid and Intracranial Surgery, Frederick W. Lombard,Michael L. James, John C. Keifer, David McDonagh, David Warner, and Cecil O. Borel 24. Protecting the Central Nervous System during Surgery, Hilary P. Grocott 25. Preservation of Spinal Cord Function, Michael M. McGarvey, Albert T. Cheung 26. Perioperative Management of Acute Central Nervous System Injury, W. Andrew Kofke GASTROINTESTINAL SYSTEM 27. Prevention and Treatment of Gastrointestinal MorbidityDuane Funk and Tong J. Gan HEMATOLOGY AND COAGULATION 28. Prevention and Management of Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism, Jagajan Karmacharya and Edward Y. Woo 29. Perioperative Management of Bleeding and Transfusion, Steven E. Hil and Richard C. D'Alonzo INFECTIONS 30. Prevention of Perioperative and Surgical Site Infection, Carlene A. Muto and Marian Pokrywska OBSTETRIC 31. Perioperative Protection of the Pregnant Woman, Theodore G. Cheek 32. Preservation of Fetal Viability in Noncardiac Surgery, Robert R. Gaiser and Mary K. McHugh PART IV: EARLY POSTOPERATIVE CARE SPECIFIC OPERATIONS 33. Cardiac Surgery, G. Burkhard Mackensen 34. General Thoracic Surgery, Todd W. Sarge and Alan Lisbon 35. Major Abdominal Surgery, Patrick J. Neligan and Jacob Gutsche 36. Major Orthopaedic Surgery, Babak Sarani, David T. Huang, and Robin West 37. Solid Organ Transplantation, David C. Kaufman and Carolyn E. Jones 38. Multisystem Trauma, Patrick K. Kim.and Patrick M. Reilly 39. Neurosurgery, Michael L. James and Cecil O. Borel SPECIFIC PROBLEMS 40. Sepsis and Septic Shock, Michael D. Malinzak and Laura E. Niklason 41. Acute Respiratory Failure, S. Rob Todd Gary A. Vercruysse,, and Frederick A. Moore 42. Endocrine and Electrolyte Disorders, Eugene W. Moretti, and Duane Funk 43. Pain, Delirium, and Anxiety, Winston C. V. Parris and Lesco Rogers PART V: CONFLICTING OUTCOMES 44. Economic Analysis of Perioperative Optimization, Tom Archer,Steve Mannis, and .Alex Maccario 45. Pay for Performance: An Incentive for Better Outcomes, Ronald A. Gabel
NEW PALLIATIVE CARE IN THE ICU
NEW PALLIATIVE CARE AT THE END OF LIFE